Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Full Boil vs Partial

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2010, 01:27 PM   #1
troutab81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Full Boil vs Partial

What are the high level benefits? I am getting close to being kicked out of my kitchen by my wife, and was thinking of getting a turkey fryer so I can do full boils.

Secondary: None
Bottles: California Pale Ale
Keg 1: Nugget Nectar Clone
Keg 2: Dogfish Head 60 Min Clone

Beer is good food. -- John Goodman

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2010, 01:49 PM   #2
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

better hop utilization, less browning of the wort, all the water is sterilized by the boil.

You will need a giant pot. 8 gallon is a great size for 5 gallon batches. Having a spigot on the pot is a major bonus. Stainless is the best but if your on a budget, aluminum will work.

You can do full boils on the stove top but it takes for ever. A propane burner is much better.

A chiller is also super important. The best bang for the buck is an immersion chiller and use a spoon to stir.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:59 PM   #3
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

+1 Better utilization, less chance for "extract twang" and carmelization.

Use a propane burner or go electric with a ULWD Element, if you can get your hands on a 15.5gal keg, you can modify that to use as a boil kettle and keep the aluminum turkey fryer pot for turkeys!

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 01-28-2010, 02:02 PM   #4
troutab81
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by maida7 View Post
better hop utilization, less browning of the wort, all the water is sterilized by the boil.

You will need a giant pot. 8 gallon is a great size for 5 gallon batches. Having a spigot on the pot is a major bonus. Stainless is the best but if your on a budget, aluminum will work.

You can do full boils on the stove top but it takes for ever. A propane burner is much better.

A chiller is also super important. The best bang for the buck is an immersion chiller and use a spoon to stir.
I have a homemade wort immersion wort chiller, so that will work. With a spigot (which would be nice instead of siphoning or dumping), is there any concern of trub clogging or getting into fermenter?

Old 01-28-2010, 02:04 PM   #5
troutab81
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyzazz View Post
+1 Better utilization, less chance for "extract twang" and carmelization.

Use a propane burner or go electric with a ULWD Element, if you can get your hands on a 15.5gal keg, you can modify that to use as a boil kettle and keep the aluminum turkey fryer pot for turkeys!
Love and have heard of the modified Keg. Do I have to get someone to cut off the top then?

Old 01-28-2010, 02:07 PM   #6
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
Recipes 

Liked 509 Times on 392 Posts
Likes Given: 76

+1 on everything said above. Getting kicked out of the kitchen rocks! It has been the making of many of us!

Steven Hawking ~ As we say in science, the England football team couldn’t hit a cow’s arse with a banjo

Old 01-28-2010, 02:08 PM   #7
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I use a 5gal paint strainer bag to filter most of my hop debris during the boil, just throw them in there and clip it to your kettle or do the PVC Reducer thing. I use a plate chiller and have never had a clog.

You can cut the top off yourself, do a search for "keg cutting jig" all you need is an angle grinder and a cutting disk. You can also search for "keggle" on youtube and find videos of ppl cutting the tops off their kegs.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 01-28-2010, 02:12 PM   #8
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutab81 View Post
I have a homemade wort immersion wort chiller, so that will work. With a spigot (which would be nice instead of siphoning or dumping), is there any concern of trub clogging or getting into fermenter?
Trub in the fermenter is nothing to worry about. However trub and hops blocking up your spigot is a real concern. What I have is a metal screen false bottom. The larger chunks get strained out and don't make it to the spigot.

mine is kinda like this one with the false bottom and a thermometer installed. It's the bomb! But also very expensive

Old 01-28-2010, 02:17 PM   #9
troutab81
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing_Gnome_Invisible View Post
+1 on everything said above. Getting kicked out of the kitchen rocks! It has been the making of many of us!
Any recommendations on a good setup and best cost: I see this:
http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...Id=46522643314

Old 01-28-2010, 02:57 PM   #10
selophayne
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutab81 View Post
Any recommendations on a good setup and best cost: I see this:
http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...Id=46522643314
I just bought the same model. I have yet to try it, but I hear it comes recommended. I got mine on Amazon.com for $59. Their shipping is sort of slow, but free. If you have time wait, I'd highly recommend buying from them (but then again I buy every on Amazon. I'd do my grocery shopping there it it were possible)

Can't wait to try it.

Quick Reply