Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > full boil/partial boil question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2008, 12:32 AM   #1
KingC
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default full boil/partial boil question

Hey guys. I want to start my 4th brew within the next couple of weeks but have a quick question for y'all. I have a few wheat beer recipes that I want to try, and I was wondering if I can use the same amount of ingredients given for a 5 gallon boil and use them the same way (i.e same amounts, boil times ect..) for a partial boil? I would assume that there wouldn't be too much difference, but then again this will only be my 4th brew so what do I know! Thanks for any help. I have an itch for a nice wheat beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2008, 03:38 PM   #2
TheH2
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm pretty new at this, but yes you can definitely do this, but I think the beer will turn out a little different than if you did a full boil. At the same time I'm sure the beer will still be good.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the hops will have a different effect if you have a full boil with less sugars from the malt than with a partial boil with concentrated amounts of sugars because you will be adding water after the boil.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:34 PM   #3
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

When you do a full boil you need to adjust your hops. With a full boil the gravity of your boil is lower so you get better hop utilization. If your ingredients are for a partial boil and you decide to do a full boil, you will need to reduce the amount of hops you use.

Post your recipe and recipe instructions along with the boil size you want and someone can run the numbers for you.

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Quick Reply