Full Boil, No Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbobo05

Reaction score
Hello all, this is the first of hopefully a lifetime of posts here! :)

I just ordered a Bayou Classic Turkey fryer kit from Amazon with the 30 qt aluminum pot but I don't have a wort chiller yet. If I am not able to "cold break" my wort, will it adversely affect my beer?

Here is the link to the fryer kit: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000BXHL0/ref=oss_product

I am doing an Oatmeal Stout extract kit from Liquid Hobby for my first batch with the 5 gallon setup (moving up from Mr. Beer). Any tips/pitfalls for watch out for? Is there a way to add chocolate flavoring for a psuedo-Founders Breakfast Stoudt?

Thank you to all the posters on this forum, I am gaining a wealth of knowledge by reading through your threads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to HBT!
While there are advantages to chilling your wort rapidly that you can read about all over this site, you will still make fine beer without it. I did 13 brews before I bought one and I'll tell you what I learned: long cooling times are fine for beers that have only an early hop addition. This includes your oatmeal stout extract kit. The 2 problems that I had with long cooling times was with late hop additions: those styles ended up being too bitter and lacking that nice hop aroma. The excess bitterness was because the extended high temps. extracted alpha acids from my finishing hops. The loss of hop aroma was because the extended high temps. vaporized a lot of the hop essential oils.

As for chocolate, it goes very well with Oatmeal Stout. I haven't tried it but the two ways that I hear about alot are 1. "Dry nibbing" This is where you add cacao nibs as you would hops when dry hopping. 2. Adding one 4oz bar of very high % cacao chocolate bar to the kettle at the end of the boil.

you could always buy one of the round tubes with the rope handles and make a ice bath in there it it does not fit in your sink (put a couple of 2-4 in the bottem to keep it from melting the bottem platic until it cools.) that is what i did until i ordered my chiller

I was thinking about one of the round plastic tubes as you suggested kgfitz but the thought of the melting plastic did cross my mind. Thank you Sardoman for pointing out the pros/cons of no-chill. My next brew, a Kolsch style, will need a chiller of some sort then. If I go with the no chill for this brew, will using my True Brew fermenter bucket work as my "cube' or will the temperature be too high for the plastic?

I have some Ovaltine in the pantry, think that will work in place of the Hershey's powder? I read in another thread about adding coffee flavor. From it I read that there are two options: add about 4 oz of fresh ground coffee after fermentation OR add brewed coffee to taste to a sample and calculate the amount for 5g from that. I'm guessing that you would add that after fermentation as well, correct?

Thanks for all the quick replies!

I have some Ovaltine in the pantry, think that will work in place of the Hershey's powder?
Probably not unless it is Ovaltine used for baking (exists?) and not for making beverages. But then again, you could always just give it a shot.

you could always buy one of the round tubes with the rope handles and make a ice bath in there it it does not fit in your sink (put a couple of 2-4 in the bottem to keep it from melting the bottem platic until it cools.) that is what i did until i ordered my chiller

1. Get a small metal pot
2. Fill the tub with water until it is as deep as the pot is wide
3. Put the pot in sideways so it fills with water, and then turn it upside down (if you don't do this the air trapped in the pot makes it float
4. Put your kettle in the tub on top of the pot
5. Fill the tub with ice around the kettle (if you put the ice in first you'll never get your kettle to sit on the pot and you risk the kettle tipping over as the ice melts)

i put my wort in a 6.5 carboy and used one of the tubs full of ice it covers the 5 gal. of wart perfectly i then spun the carboy to cool it faster also adding air to the wart worked grate

i put my wort in a 6.5 carboy and used one of the tubs full of ice it covers the 5 gal. of wart perfectly i then spun the carboy to cool it faster also adding air to the wart worked grate

Putting hot wort into a glass carboy (non-Borosilicate glass) is a good way to make it shatter causing you to lose your beer and injure yourself.

Putting the pot in a bathtub of water has worked OK for me. I fill it with enough water that the pot floats just off the bottom but won't tip over.

My suggestion is to just get a chiller, you'll be glad you did. I think I did 3 full boils before I got mine and the time and effort it saves on brew day is well worth the $50 I spent on it.

Back