Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Full Boil new Pot questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2010, 06:14 PM   #11
mojotele
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I used to use the mesh strainer on the funnel, and, like it does for you, it would get clogged constantly. I eventually got fed up with it and just stopped bothering as I never noticed a difference in taste between those I strained and those I didn't.

I just use my hop bag and the rest just flows out of the kettle and in the fermenter. I only use the hop bag because the hop sludge seems to clump a lot more and clog up airlocks on active fermentations. Keep in mind that I don't use an ordinary hop bag, though. The 5 gallon paint strainer bags are much larger than your typical hop bag and allow the hops to move a lot more freely in the boiling wort. There's a bunch of threads on using them for this purpose.

I think whole hops are much more likely to clog your valve than pellet hops and/or break materials.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2010, 06:20 PM   #12
gunner65
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks Mojotele I will get myself a paint strainer

Single Vessel BIAB is all I need....Until we figure out the no vessel technique.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:09 PM   #13
Arkador
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I use a 25foot CFC chiller between my keggle and fermenter. will gravity feed a 10gal batch down to 70deg in about 15min (still don't have a pump)

Quick Reply