Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Full Boil Extract - Hops utilization?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2011, 05:14 PM   #1
DFP51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Full Boil Extract - Hops utilization?

Hello. I am very new to this hobby, and have only done two extract kits to date. The first batch, a basic brown ale, virtually disappeared at the Super Bowl last night, and I have an Oatmeal stout sitting in the fermenter now.

Next in the pipe is an AHB Fat Tire clone. I have the ability to do a full boil, and am planning on it. I am a little concerned about the hosp utilization rate based on some of the posts here. I e mailed AHB and was essentially told not to sweat it. Am I being paranoid, or do I need to adjust my hops? If I need to adjust, how do I do it?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Dan

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2011, 05:28 PM   #2
CTownBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

As long as the recipe is for 5 gallons & you're planning on doing a full 5 gallon boil, I never adjust my hops, even if the kit instructions tell you to boil 2.5 gallons & top off your primary to 5 gallons. I would only adjust my hop schedule if changing the final recipe yield...for example, if going from a full 5 gallon recipe to a scaled-down 2.5 gallon test batch or if you wanted to double a 5 gallon recipe to 10 gallons.

Secondary 1
: Port BA American Sour w/Raspberries
Secondary 2: Baltic Porter
Now On Tap: New Zealand IPA, Belgian Dark Strong w/Anise & Cinnamon, Imperial Red Ale
Upcoming Brews: Port BA American Sour w/Cherries, Doppelbock, Belgian Golden Strong, Peanut Butter Imperial Porter

Old 02-07-2011, 05:49 PM   #3
DFP51
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Quick Reply