Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > full boil brews.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2013, 04:53 PM   #1
narl79
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default full boil brews.

most of my kit instructions tell me to boil only 3 gallons of water but i have been boiling 6.5 gallons to get a 5 gal batch. does boiling all my water give me any advantage to the taste or aroma of the beer or should i just save the time and boil only the 3 gallons.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2013, 04:57 PM   #2
eric19312
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by narl79
most of my kit instructions tell me to boil only 3 gallons of water but i have been boiling 6.5 gallons to get a 5 gal batch. does boiling all my water give me any advantage to the taste or aroma of the beer or should i just save the time and boil only the 3 gallons.
I think it will be better with full boil. I suggest plugging the recipe into an online calculator to check how the change will impact hop utilization. You may end up wanting to adjust the schedule a bit.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:30 PM   #3
narl79
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

thanks. witch one do you use or can you suggest one

Old 02-22-2013, 05:38 PM   #4
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 3

IME, a full boil doesn't make a beer any better (even with AG). about the only difference is increased hop utilization & maybe less maliard reactions. a high IBU beer (i.e. IPA) is a different story tho as you may not be able to get the necessary IBUs without a full boil.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:44 PM   #5
fall-line
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 14

There is a downside of full boils to consider (above the extra time/energy required), and that is boiling your water removes most of the disolved o2 from solution. Making the leap from partial to full boils requires you to re-oxygenate to keep your yeast happy when you pitch. You can accomplish this a number of ways from simply splashing the wort, up to fancy o2 bottles, but it's something you have to consider.

All that said, I'm an all grain brewer who hasn't done a partial boil in ages.

"Brewing beer is a fun and rewarding hobby. When you do good, you get beer. When you do bad, you get beer. It's a lot like rec league softball"
(source)

Building a home brewery (and garage) from the ground up

Old 02-22-2013, 05:58 PM   #6
JehovahsWitnessProtection
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fall-line View Post
There is a downside of full boils to consider (above the extra time/energy required), and that is boiling your water removes most of the disolved o2 from solution. Making the leap from partial to full boils requires you to re-oxygenate to keep your yeast happy when you pitch. You can accomplish this a number of ways from simply splashing the wort, up to fancy o2 bottles, but it's something you have to consider.

All that said, I'm an all grain brewer who hasn't done a partial boil in ages.
Good point. With partial boils you have a couple gallons of top-off water to bring in some O2. I just switched to full boils last batch (new 10gal kettle), and realized I needed to spend more time agitating the wort after it cooled.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:07 PM   #7
DonMagee
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by narl79 View Post
thanks. witch one do you use or can you suggest one
beersmith and brewtarget are good software choices. I use beersmith personally.

I originally switched to full boil because I thought it would lighten my extract beers. I then learned the best way to lighten my beers was to add the majority of my extract at the end of my boil. Now that I brew all grain, my pots are all too big to even consider a partial boil if I did an extract beer (6 gallons to reach the thermowell)

Old 02-22-2013, 06:08 PM   #8
narl79
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I use a strainer I got at walmart that has extendable arms and after my work cools I dump it back and fourth a few times to get all the hops out and to airate . You cant have too much o2 before putinf in the fermenter can you

Old 02-22-2013, 07:28 PM   #9
fall-line
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by narl79 View Post
I use a strainer I got at walmart that has extendable arms and after my work cools I dump it back and fourth a few times to get all the hops out and to airate . You cant have too much o2 before putinf in the fermenter can you
You really cant, at least not using that technique. There have been some studies done showing the effectiveness of various aeration techniques. Short of going to a pure O2 bottle, it's almost impossible to get past 8ppm. See: http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_oxygenation.cfmPersonally I use an aquarium pump and stone, and my yeast have been happy. After reading the above though, I learned that my previous habit of aerating for 20minutes was just a waste of time. I've cut it back to ~5 minutes now and as suggested by the data, haven't noticed a bit of difference in yeast health.

Your method sounds like it'll do just fine. If/when you are doing larger batches (I often do 10 gal for example), you'll find that you might need a new method though.

"Brewing beer is a fun and rewarding hobby. When you do good, you get beer. When you do bad, you get beer. It's a lot like rec league softball"
(source)

Building a home brewery (and garage) from the ground up

Old 02-22-2013, 08:09 PM   #10
narl79
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Cool thank you so much

Quick Reply