The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Full boil or 3 gallon

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2010, 03:11 AM   #1
brehuh
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Full boil or 3 gallon

I recently got a 8 gallon Polarware SS pot off of CL, so now i can do full boils. I am brewing a Newcastle clone from MHS, extract with specialty grains.

Should I go with ~6 gallon boil, instead of the 3 gallon that the kit calls for. The main thing I am concerned about is cooling the wort, I am planning on doing a ice bath in the tub. Around 10 lbs of ice should do it?

I was thinking about freezing some boiled water and putting that in the wort. I was reading in "How to Brew," that oxidation of the wort can occur when oxygen is introduced at temps over 80 degrees. This can cause a cardboard taste, how typical is this? Have you ever dumped cold water or ice in without regard for oxidation, what happened?

This is my 3rd brew so far and I am not looking back.

PS Sorry if my grammar and spelling is horrible, my brain is fried. Two tests in three days both worth 50% is killing me.

Last edited by brehuh; 02-08-2010 at 03:15 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2010, 03:17 AM   #2
gtpro
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

do the full boil if you can but be warned, if youre using a stove, 5+ gallons is pretty tough to get to a boil. Chilling it is also difficult, a bath of salt, ice and water will do it though.

The cardboard taste youre describing is due to something called hot-side aeration, but the general consensus is that it is not an issue.

Old 02-08-2010, 03:19 AM   #3
michael.berta
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Do the full wort boil. It might take more ice in the ice bath but ice is cheap. In How to Brew John was probably writing about hot side aeration. It is not a common problem that brewers have so I wouldn't worry about it....

Old 02-08-2010, 03:20 AM   #4
Netflyer

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I don't know about diluting the wort with ice... and I don't know for sure if a bathtub full of ice will do it but if you lived here 24+ inches of snow might. Seriously, now that you have a nice kettle get or make a nice immersion chiller. Should be under $75 and then do full boils.

Changing an extract kit made for partial boils to full boils requires you to do some hop calculations. You would use slightly less hops because more water increases the hops utilization. There are IBU calculators online but I would highly recommend Beersmith for under 20 bucks if you don't already own it. Sounds like you will be brewing for a while to come so it's not like you won't use the stuff.

Sorry about the tests, hope you rocked em'.

Kegged:
RiClarke's Guinuess Clone w/da sour 6.4% ABV 1057 SG 1009 FG

Old 02-08-2010, 03:26 AM   #5
gannawdm
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

One thing that I've been experimenting with is adding a container full of ice into the wort (not the ice itself). I filled up a quart ziplock full of water, froze it, and then tossed it into the wort. Of course, I sanitized it before tossing it into the wort. There is always a risk with a ziplock that it opens, so a small 16 oz. pop or water bottle would probably work better.

I've only tried this method once. It cooled down much faster than before.

Old 02-08-2010, 03:34 AM   #6
brehuh

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I would love to get a wort chiller, but I am living in an apartment and i do not think the sink faucet can hook up to a chiller. That is a good point about the hop calculation since the larger volume will allow better hop utilization, should I adjust the amount or not worry about it?

Old 02-08-2010, 03:34 AM   #7
chefmike
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Do you have a double sink? Put the wort in one side, fill with cool water, leave the cool water running a trickle. It will overflow into the second sink. Heat rises, wort cools (stir it with a sanitized spoon every few minutes. I could cool 5 gallons in 30 minutes this way.

Tub works too... there is that over flow. Just do not let the trickle of water trickle into your wort.

That'd be bad beer harry.

regardless, full boil. you will not regret.

Heck, you can even put a lid on the pot when you are done boiling and let it cool for 24 hours. It would still make beer! (hop utilization would increase... search no chill)

Building: gardens, recipes, and trailer mounted smoker/ wood pizza oven

Old 02-08-2010, 03:40 AM   #8
sims_l22
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Full Boil

Please do not forget to cut back on the bittering Hops. In a full boil the wort can get a little bitter depending on the style and your taste.
sims_l22

•Primary #1: Empty
•Primary #2: Empty
•Secondary: Empty
•Secondary: Empty
•Conditioning:
•Future: Robust Porter
•Future: Breakfast Stout
•Future: Imperial Pale Ale
•Future: Belgium Triple Ale
•Drinking:
•Drinking:

Old 02-08-2010, 04:19 AM   #9
Netflyer

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by brehuh View Post
I would love to get a wort chiller, but I am living in an apartment and i do not think the sink faucet can hook up to a chiller.
They make a sink fitting, I use it all the time on my kitchen and bathroom sinks. I brew in my garage and when it is as cold as it has been here under 20F for weeks, I have to snake a 50ft hose connected to the bathroom sink through the house and out the garage door to the wort chiller. Most brew supply stores online carry the fitting.

Kegged:
RiClarke's Guinuess Clone w/da sour 6.4% ABV 1057 SG 1009 FG

Old 02-08-2010, 11:33 AM   #10
brehuh

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have been looking at sink adapters, they all seem to need some form of threading. My sink as no way to screw in or over it (unless you can remove that screen on the inside). Oh man I heard Maryland got hit hard, I was down there for the last big one. My brother and sister live in Federal Hill. The roads are terrible since they have one plow and no where to put the snow! Stay warm!

Quick Reply