New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > frustrated with siphons

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2010, 10:19 PM   #21
TheBroonery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

use a the cap-end thingy on the bottom of the racking cane to keep the trub out. Also if space permits, keep the fermenter on a perch that is a few feet higher than the bottling bucket. Once I got the hang of it I've never had issues with the siphon. I've also found that not disturbing the fermenter at all before you siphon leaves all the sediment at the bottom and out of the next container.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2010, 06:22 AM   #22
Stuntman
Alcohol to Urine 37+ yrs. Not any longer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I always move the fermenter that I am coming out of at least thirty minutes before starting. If you are careful any trub that loosens and gets wort cloudy is very minimal, and will settle back down in thirty minutes.

Marabozo, has it figured out, I can stay with the small tubing! That Chip Clip idea is great! I get the end right at the middle of fermenter clip it, start my manual siphoning, and both hands are free to do something else while I wait. Even when I heard it picking up air, and starting to loose it's prime, I just went over and pushed it down a touch and before it stopped, I was going again.

Emphasis on drank, sober since August 28 2011

Old 07-07-2010, 11:17 AM   #23
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I use the Fermtech auto-siphon, which came with my original kit from Midwest. I consider it indispensable, but I use it only for racking to the bottling bucket, save for the infrequent times I use a secondary.

That 1/2 inch autosiphon looks pretty cool, though.....

Old 07-07-2010, 11:34 AM   #24
NewBrewB
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I'm a 100% fan of the Easy Siphon available through morebeer.com When I started using better bottles, I tried the sterile siphon and nearly busted a brain vein trying to get it started. By the next batch, I had ordered an Easy Siphon. The only change I recommend is ordering a longer 1/2" hose (I went with about 5-6 feet). It draws beer wicked-fast and seems to dry easily since it's fat enough that air can flow through it. It is also long enough to go from my table top to a carboy on the floor, without precariously balancing it on a chair. Yes, I still tip the source (primary carboy) to get that last bit of beer, but the red (orange?) cap on the tip keeps most of the trub from running 'a muck.'

Anyhoo, that's my advice. Easy Siphon from MoreBeer.com

Old 07-07-2010, 12:06 PM   #25
TheBroonery
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I should mention my method of siphoning by gravity which after many experiences has worked pretty well: Start with the fermenter on a perch about 3' higher than the next container (I've got ikea furniture stacked up in my fermentation/storage room), next put the racking cane with the end cap (to keep the trub out but allow liquid to pass) into the bucket; have a large bowl (I've used the brew pot before) with sanitizer/water and prime the transfer hose (as you would with a vacuum hose in a swimming pool; that is get all the air out of the hose), pull the transfer hose out of the sanitizer by both ends, hold one end a l little lower to drain then hold them equal so there is about 6" of air at either end of the hose, the rest of it filled with sanitized water. Holding both ends together at the same level, slide one end onto the racking cane which is sitting in the beer already, bring the other end of the transfer tubing down over the sanitizer bowl, the sanitizer in the hose will flow out, followed by the beer. Once it is just beer coming out put the end of the hose into the container you're transferring to (keep it next to the sanitizer bowl) and it should continue on it's own until all the beer has transfered. If I'm bottling I'll add the priming sugar at this time and use the flowing beer coming out of the hose to stir it up a little

Old 07-07-2010, 12:06 PM   #26
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2670 Times on 1718 Posts
Likes Given: 2181

I drilled out a carboy cap to hold my autosiphon.

Eyes closed, we imagined our pain as a ball of white healing light floating around our feet and rising to our knees, our waist, our chest. Our chakras opening. The heart chakra. The head chakra. Chloe talked us into caves where we meet our power animal. Mine was a penguin.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:41 PM   #27
chrislehr
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
I drilled out a carboy cap to hold my autosiphon.

I like this idea. I have the auto siphon, but the clip it came with really doesn't hold it tight enough that I can pump it 1-2 times without pushing the siphon into the trub. Will try this next time.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:40 PM   #28
monty3777
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you are whirlpooling your wort then you should have an easy time transferring to your fermenter without a bunch of crap ending up in the fermenter.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:46 PM   #29
Jawbox0
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I use an auto siphon and If I dry hop, I zip tie a new sanitized nylon stocking to the end of my hose at the bottom of the keg. So far this has left me with some very clear, and tasty, beers.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:55 PM   #30
Symbiote
Recipes 

Location: Somewhere between the computers and the coffee pot.

What do you think of siphons like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360272308833

?

Primary 1: Experimental Apfelwein

Primary 2: Experimental Apfelwein

US politics is like pro wrestling, with a nuclear option.

Quick Reply