Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fruity WLP001

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2011, 03:01 PM   #1
chris102984
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Fruity WLP001

Okay,

I'm new'ish to using WLP001. I've brewed quite a few beers that have been awesome, but every single time I use WLP001 the thing ends up being very fruity (a bit sour too maybe?) instead of clean. The beers I'm making are supposed to be anything but fruity, so it really makes them odd tasting.

My guess is I'm fermenting too hot and getting massive amounts of esters. The house is 67 degrees, but it sits near the heat pump & hot water tank.

I have a temp controller on the way to use for my kegerator and I'm thinking I should probably use it for fermentation too (with certain yeast strains).

I'm just looking for some thoughts/insight. Has anyone had fruity beer caused by WLP001?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2011, 03:09 PM   #2
Nateo
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Fermentation temp is usually 7-10* above ambient. So if your house is 67*, you're probably fermenting in the mid-to-high 70s, and if it's by a heat pump and hot water tank, you're probably getting up into the 80s.

That would explain the fruitiness. If you ferment in the low 60s you shouldn't get much "fruitiness"

To paraphrase Dr. England - "Off-flavors smooth with time. So do mountains. Brew it right from the start!"

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Old 03-04-2011, 03:44 PM   #3
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

+1, I ferment almost everything I make at 63F with a temp probe taped and insulated to the side of my fermenter.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 03-04-2011, 04:50 PM   #4
chris102984
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the quick responses. Could you further explain the insulation part of attaching the probe? (Is the concept to insulate it against ambient air inside the cooling chamber?)

This makes me feel much better about my beer, I was getting quite discouraged. Although my wits have always seemed pretty tasty which made me believe it couldnt be my actual brewing methods.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:07 PM   #5
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris102984 View Post
Thanks for the quick responses. Could you further explain the insulation part of attaching the probe? (Is the concept to insulate it against ambient air inside the cooling chamber?)

This makes me feel much better about my beer, I was getting quite discouraged. Although my wits have always seemed pretty tasty which made me believe it couldnt be my actual brewing methods.
The insulation is simply a piece of bubble wrap that sandwiches the probe against the fermenter wall. I tape it all in place and set my fermentation temp. It gives a truer reading of the temp of the beer in your fermenter this way.
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Quick Reply