Fruit in Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwashko

Reaction score
I'm trying a recipe for a blackberry porter. The recipe calls for frozen blackberries, and it says to thaw them and put them in the secondary when I transfer over. My question is do I need to pasteurize them before doing so, or should the alcohol content keep the nasties at bay? Thanks for any advice.

I have always puree'd and pasteurized my fruit additions. It's not worth the risk to me and I feel like I get more flavor from the fruit itself by doing this.

Then what? Do you keep them in a muslim bag or filter it out somehow before kegging/bottling? What about the seeds?

In our cherry wheat recipe we use frozen cherries in the secondary. We puree them and add them to the secondary as is. Great flavor. We crash it as we normally would with anything else, and filter it before going to the keg to make sure all bits of the cherry get picked up. Have brewed it over a dozen times and have yet to have any issues with not pasturizing them. Good luck!

Back