Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fruit flavors that don't taste fake

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2011, 12:45 PM   #11
neut2004
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'd add sour cherries to secondary, about pound per gallon. I've heard the purées don't give good results (syrupy sweet or cough syrup). Good luck.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2011, 12:59 PM   #12
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 16

The purees are super fantastically great. I suggest one can for most beers, and one and a half to two for strong porters, stouts, and other beers with a lot of roast and caramel flavors.

Extracts and artificial flavorings suck. Stay away from those.

Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Old 09-01-2011, 01:04 PM   #13
banesong
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Thanks for the great (and sometimes conflicting) advice!

Primary: Lots, varies
Secondary: None
Bottled/Conditioning: Belgian Golden, American Pale, Apfelwien

Old 09-01-2011, 02:39 PM   #14
gomb
Recipes 

I used 1 can of the blueberry (~48oz) in a wit I made and it was really under flavored. I am going to try 5lb next time.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:32 PM   #15
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 432 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 60

I use real fruit that I clean and cut into appropriately sized pieces. The process I have developed over several batches of fruit beer is as follows:

1. I will buy the fruit fresh, and then immediately wash it and cut it into smaller pieces so that it is easier to handle for later stages, and also because I want to expose some of the cells of the fruit to the beer. At this time I will also discard any fruit that looks overripe or has exposed surfaces where some kind of infection is likely to have occurred. For stuff like blueberries, blackberries, etc. I will "distress" the fruit instead of cutting it by smacking it a few times against a sanitized surface.

2. I then put the fruit into a sanitized tupperware container in the freezer for a day or two; basically some amount of time on the order of a few days before I plan to rack my beer to secondary.

3. I take the fruit out of the freezer, open up the sanitized container, stick the block o' fruit into a sanitized nylon mesh bag, seal up the top of the bag so the fruit pieces can't get out, and then put that into my secondary fermenter and rack on top of it.

4. Wait some amount of time for the fruit flavors to get into the beer. For some beers this can be something like one or two weeks, and for others it can be more like a month to six weeks. With strawberries, for example, I don't feel like the flavor is imparted very easily into the beer, so I rack it for longer.

5. When I am ready to package, it is then very easy to pull out the fruit bag and clean out the bag and fermenter.

Quick Reply