Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fruit Additions - why secondary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2011, 12:26 PM   #1
ArcLight
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default Fruit Additions - why secondary?

Why not add the fruit additions to your primary, say a week after pitching the yeast (assuming a week will keep more fruit flavor than directly adding puree at pitching time)?
Why bother transferring it to a secondary? So what if the trub is thicker?

(I use plastic buckets not carboys, so easy of cleaning is not a concern)

Last edited by ArcLight; 05-28-2011 at 01:22 PM. Reason: add the part about the plastic buckets

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2011, 12:38 PM   #2
Irishpenguin13
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Some do some dont. Myself, I use secondary only for fruit/spice additions. I just feel better doing it, thinking itll be more clear and less mess in one fermenter. Adding 7 lbs of peaches today actually to my summer ipa.

Old 05-28-2011, 12:51 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2710 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Some do...it's actually smarter to add it to primary THEN racking it off the fruit and into a secondary to let it clear and get it off all the fruit trub. In my experience if you add fruit to secondary then you really need to rack it off into tertiary.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-28-2011, 12:53 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4261 Times on 3104 Posts
Likes Given: 811

As long as you do it gently, without splashing, adding it to primary at the end is my preference. Mostly because it's tough to get a bag of fruit out of a carboy!

Old 05-28-2011, 12:59 PM   #5
Paymygasbill77
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

A few brews ago I added peach puree to the primary The yeast ate all the fructose and took all the peach flavor with it. It just raised ABV a bunch.

If I were to do it again I would use peach chunks and add them to the secondary and then rack it to a tertiary.

Old 05-28-2011, 01:54 PM   #6
onipar
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 19

So if I were to put fruit into the Primary, what's the proper procedure? Wait until gravity stabilizes, *then* add fruit and let sit for a week or two?

And would I still need to secondary, or would moving straight to a bottling bucket be okay?

Oh, and when you say tertiary, is that something other than a bottling bucket?

Old 05-28-2011, 03:10 PM   #7
Olddog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I put the fruit in at flameout once and it turned out so well I got 2nd place (36/50) at a local homebrew competition.

Old 05-28-2011, 03:14 PM   #8
hudsonj6
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just cracked my first raspberry wheat last night and did kind of an of an odd ball procedure. I made the beer as normal and then once it was finished fermenting I racked it onto 1.8kg of crushed frozen raspberries in a primary bucket for 2 weeks cause I figured it was going to be a lot easier to clean all the fruit out of a bucket than a carboy. I then racked to a tertiary, which is just a third vessel (mine happened to be a carboy), cause there was still a ton of stuff floating around in the beer that I wanted to let settle. When I racked to the bottling bucket I still had to put a straining bag over the auto siphon to keep all the fruit chunks out.

Old 05-28-2011, 03:18 PM   #9
Paymygasbill77
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Primary=1st fermentation
Secondary= 2nd fermentation (where you settle things out and add fruit)
Tertiary= 3rd fermentation (where you settle out the fruit trub)

What I am saying is that i would ferment in the primary and rack to a secondary where you add my fruit. Fruit leaves behind some crud that makes beer cloudy I would probably rack to a third fermenter so I could clear out the stuff the fruit leaves behind.

If you add the fruit in the primary I would think that the sugar in whatever you are adding could re-start the fermentation process and in my experience eat up all the fruit flavor you are trying to add.

I don't know if you wash your yeast but if you do you will have a lot more trub to clean up if you add your fruit to the primary.

Old 05-28-2011, 04:39 PM   #10
onipar
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Ah ha, I see.

Okay, new question. So if I'm going to do the three steps as outlined above, would it be okay to secondary in my bottling bucket, then tertiary back to my primary bucket, so when I'm ready to bottle I can just rack *back* to the bottling bucket?

One issue I'm thinking might be the large amount of headspace in the buckets. Is that a problem, and are there other problems doing it hat way I;m not thinking of?

I only have my primary and bottling buckets at the moment, no carboys.

My Official Website

Horror and Homebrew: YouTube Channel

My Books:
Soundtrack to the End of the World
Welcome to Moon Hill

Quick Reply