Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Frozen PET Bottles in the Wort

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2009, 07:01 PM   #1
TexasSpartan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Frozen PET Bottles in the Wort

In an effort to cool my beer to pitching temperature in the middle of a Texas summer, I've been thinking about filling some PET bottles with water, freezing them, then dropping them in the wort to help cool it (after sanitizing them of course).

I'd have to think that I probably shouldn't drop them in while the wort is at or close to boiling temperature, but once it cools down a bit to help speed things up.

Does anyone do this, or have any reasons I shouldn't do this?

Keg 1: Falconer's Flight IPA
Keg 2: Honey Jalapeno Saison

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2009, 07:06 PM   #2
HiGravShawn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

My LHBS owner told me he does this because even with a wort chiller in the south in the summer your water isn't exactly coming out freezing. He actually uses half gallon jugs frozen (and sanitized).

That being said, the sanitation just seems like too much extra pain unless you really don't get fast enough cooling from a wort chiller and need some other option. After trying ice baths in the sink I couldn't order a wort chiller fast enough. If I ever have problems with it not cooling quickly enough I am going to splice in 10" of copper tubing which I will run through a sink filled with ice water. No point introducing new ways to get infected.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:07 PM   #3
brrman
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I would add the ice bottles once your wort has been cooled down to 90 or 100F. Otherwise you waste all the ice on something that a chiller can do quite effectively. Its the last 25 degrees where you need the ice because the ambient temp of the water used for cooling is usually 65F or higher in summer.

It's not hard to sanitize the frozen bottles - mix up a small bucket of sanitizer and just drop them in there for 30 seconds. Hell I was so desperate once last summer that I sanitized a bag of frozen peas (true story) and threw it in there. Beer was perfectly fine.

. Heavenly Scourge Black IIPA
On Deck:. Sycamore Porter

Old 08-19-2009, 07:09 PM   #4
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 382 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSpartan View Post
I've been thinking about filling some PET bottles with water, freezing them, then dropping them in the wort to help cool it
I wouldn't suggest dropping them in. That could cause you to get splashed with hot wort. You might want to place them in gently.

I recently tried out something that was designed to do just this. Didn't have amazing results, but it could be helpful for folks like you that might not have very cold ground water.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/cooling-paddles-127688/

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 08-19-2009, 07:15 PM   #5
lamarguy
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrman View Post
ambient temp of the water used for cooling is usually 65F or higher in summer.
Ha...I wish the ground water was 65F during the summer/fall in Texas. Try 85F during the hottest months.

To the OP, as others have said, PET is not rated for high temperatures and dropping bottles in the cooling wort will introduce another potential source of contamination.

If you can, use a counter-flow or immersion chiller and chill the incoming tap water with a pre-chiller (25ft of copper) immersed in an ice bath. You can always dump the frozen PET bottles in the ice bath.

Planned: Lambic, American IPA
Fermenting: 6 gals of 1.090 stout (Belgian) & 6 gals of 1.090 stout (English)
Tapped: Berliner Weisse, Black English IPA, German Pils, & Live Oak Primus

Old 08-19-2009, 07:46 PM   #6
BioBeing
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I use a 10 foot prechiller before my 50 foot IC here in Memphis where our ground water is about 80F. Stick it in a bucket, then add 1 bag of ice to that bucket as the wort gets bellow about 100F. Got 10 gallons down to about 75F in about 30 minutes the other weekend. But the ice bottles would work too. As has been said - add them late, when you normal cooling method has about maxed out.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:50 PM   #7
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 130 Posts

It works. If you have some other means of cooling the wort, save the ice until it hits 120F.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 08-19-2009, 09:13 PM   #8
kaiser423
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I drop in a bunch of re-capped aluminum beer bottles. I put it in my sink with water for about 15 minutes, and then open up the lid and gently place lots of sanitized, frozen aluminum beer bottles in, and I'm at pitching temps in no time.

Of course, I have enough of those aluminum bottles to just keep rotating out as needed.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:00 PM   #9
businesstime
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrman View Post
I would add the ice bottles once your wort has been cooled down to 90 or 100F. Otherwise you waste all the ice on something that a chiller can do quite effectively. Its the last 25 degrees where you need the ice because the ambient temp of the water used for cooling is usually 65F or higher in summer.
Ditto. I'd also hate to have chemicals from the plastic melt off into my wort.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:29 AM   #10
TexasSpartan
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 10

This would be in addition to the ice bath and wort & pre-chiller. Even with the heat, it hasn't been too big a problem to get most of the temp to drop, it's been getting those last 30 degrees or so down to pitching temp.

Keg 1: Falconer's Flight IPA
Keg 2: Honey Jalapeno Saison

Quick Reply