HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Frozen Orange Juice????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2011, 03:12 PM   #1
wg_one
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Frozen Orange Juice????

Hi everyone! So I'm pretty new to this, my first brew is conditioning in bottle right now, should be ready to try in about a week. I sampled it pre bottle and it was decent.

For my next batch I wanted to try to get creative. I have liked citrus flavored beers like Summer Shandy and Blue Moon, and I wanted to try one of my own. I have 6+ pounds of wheat extract, and about 6oz. of wheat malt for steeping grains. I was going to try adding some frozen orange juice to the mix somewhere in the process and I was thinking I'd add it to the boil...my cousin tried this with a pumpkin beer and he just added two cans of pumpkin puree from the grocery store to the boil and it turned out great!

Do you think this will work or do you suggest adding the OJ at another stage, like maybe directly to the primary? Oooorrrr...Do you suggest something totally different?

Thanks! Bill, Minnesota

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2011, 03:21 PM   #2
EoinMag
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I'd wait until you learn the basics before getting all crazy and making some weird stuff.

Have you ever smelled fermenting orange juice? It smells like puke, it might work out.....but make a few beers first, normal stuff, then get all outlandish and ****.

You didn't say you didn't love me, when you were stretched out across my bed
You're drinkin' moonshine whisky and talking all outta your head.
Rory Gallagher - Pistol Slapper Blues (Trad)

Old 03-29-2011, 03:23 PM   #3
Arneba28

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

No this will get bitter or add no flavor at all. add orange zest to the beer after you add your yeast.

Old 03-29-2011, 03:23 PM   #4
FensterBos
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Personally...I would recommend just making a Wit a normal way and then squeezing in fresh orange wedge at the time of drinking.

Fermenting:
15 Gallons of New England Hard Cider - Four yeasts: Ale yeast, two cider yeasts, and a champagne yeast.

Kegged:
Helliday Ale and Chocolate Nitro Stout

Last edited by FensterBos; 03-29-2011 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Read EoinMags post and got rid of 2/3rds of my original post.

Old 03-29-2011, 03:38 PM   #5
djsethall
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 14

You could use some citrusy (spelling?) hops like cascade or something to give it a hint of citrus. Definately some orange zest which can be thrown in pretty much anytime from 5 minutes to flameout to right into the secondary for a few days before bottling. You could try doing a very small 1 gallon batch for testing. The dogfish head guy does small batches to test new ingredients, only difference is a small batch to him is not a small batch to us. LOL

Old 03-29-2011, 04:46 PM   #6
Malintent
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

NEVER boil fruit (except briefly, to pasteurize). The pectins in the fruit will break down in the boil and just be bitter and awful....

A secondary fermentor is the place to introduce fruit (and a wedge at serving time, for some varieties - like a wheat beer, as garnish)

also, as before mentioned, you don't want the yeast to get at the fruit during primary fermentation, as they will eat all the sweetness out of the fruit and just leave you with what is left over... which is not usually very pleasant.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:45 PM   #7
ThePearsonFam
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I like the "make a small batch to see what you get" approach myself... My experience is that, OJ in the boil probably won't do much, or nothing at all. Maybe adding it to the fermenter will produce some interesting flavors... If you pitch to the fermenter, do it after the aggressive, initial fermentation slows and consider a blow-off tube. OR... if you're gonna force-carbonate, maybe let the fermentation finih COMPLETELY and pitch in some potassium sorbate to kill the yeast and pour in the OJ to slightly sweeten and flavor the beer (I know I wouldn't like this answer... tried it by putting a bit of oj into a finished beer... yuck... totally different - don't ask me why - than squeezing a wedge into Blue Moon)

The more traditional answer is, zest away baby... thow some in for the last 5 mins of your boil. Throw more into the fermenter...

Old 03-29-2011, 07:09 PM   #8
SilentAutumn
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've heard of toasting orange peels (bake in 300 degree oven till white part turns golden brown, about 45 minutes) and using them. An ounce runs $2-$3 at the LHBS. But if you're eating oranges at home anyway, why waste the peel?

Valencia, Navel and Blood oranges are all sweet oranges. Seville are a bitter orange. I've seen recipes that call for one or the other or both at the same time.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:13 PM   #9
ThePearsonFam
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

hmmm... zesting gets just the colorful portion. The white portion is pith and it imparts a VERY bitter taste to beer.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:06 PM   #10
Hockeyhunter99

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

holy crap. inventing new beers can take many diffferent batches and could be years to work out proper amounts. i would highly recommend getting your process down before doing some crazy brewing techniques. do some kits that have ingredients that are what you are looking for to get recipes and timing down first. IMHO, you are jumping into murky waters head first before checking the depth of the pool.

Beer Renaissance definition - transformation from a heavy beer drinker to drinking heavy beer

Keg - American Pale Ale

Primary - Chocolate Cascadian Dark Ale
Primary - ButterBeer

Quick Reply