Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Frozen Cherries Vs. Cherry Extract

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2009, 07:12 PM   #1
rcreveli
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Frozen Cherries Vs. Cherry Extract

I am debating rather than using the cherry extract I have for my cherry wheat ale, buying some frozen cherries, defrosting them and steeping them at the end of the boil (Joy of brewing suggested a 20 minute steep right after turning off the flame) If I go this route how many pounds of cherries for a 5 gal batch? Also could I add them frozen to begin cooling the wort during the steep? I don't have a chiller.

TIA

Ray

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2009, 07:33 PM   #2
Sacdan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would recommend using them in a secondary fermenter. I haven't sued cherries yet in a brew. I am not sure of the quantity you would use.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:21 PM   #3
newhomebrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would recommend the cherry juice concentrate instead of the extract. I have made a few batches with it and it works. Still tinkering with the recipe but I am on the right track. I have tried several different brands but I settled on the sediment-free cherry juice concentrate from Fruit Advantage. With the sediment free guarantee you don't have to worry about it breaking apart.

Quick Reply