Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > frozen beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2012, 04:38 PM   #1
40watt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default frozen beer

Just to help beginners, I'm going to admit a mistake that could stay hidden forever.

It doesn't matter how, but I froze an entire carboy of Dead Ringer. First instinct...something as close to panic as I get. I really didn't want to bottle a batch that wasn't going to pan out. I effin hate bottling, and my keg system is still being put together.

Well, I thawed it, and threw a tsp of dry yeast in my priming solution, bottled that ****, and said a little prayer to the beer gods.

Due to other improvements I had made in my process, this is my best beer yet.
The point being, no matter how stupid or monumental your mistake, you should indeed relax and have a homebrew. It's shocking how hard it is to eff up beer.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:20 PM   #2
Jsmith82
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

I have to know how... for the love of all golden delicious beer, how does one accidentally freeze a carboy LOL... Did you cold crash it in a modified DF and accidentally set the temp too low?

That's cool it turned out well enough you would call it your best beer yet - just a testament to the strength of yeast and a home-brewer's will to never give up on a batch until you absolutely have to.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2012, 05:30 PM   #3
40watt

Recipes 

The freezing story is awfully ridiculous. Yes, I got a deep freeze, but had yet to get a temp controller. I hypothesized, that an otherwise empty, ancient chest freezer starting at ambient temp would take longer than overnight to freeze 5 gallons of beer. After getting it to 30-40 degrees I would unplug the unit. Boom, cold crashed beer. I was mistaken.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:44 PM   #4
Jsmith82
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40watt View Post
The freezing story is awfully ridiculous. Yes, I got a deep freeze, but had yet to get a temp controller. I hypothesized, that an otherwise empty, ancient chest freezer starting at ambient temp would take longer than overnight to freeze 5 gallons of beer. After getting it to 30-40 degrees I would unplug the unit. Boom, cold crashed beer. I was mistaken.
Heh! Awesome, little did the troll thermostat know that it did nothing to hurt the beer, just prolonged it's inevitable deliciousness by a couple days..

Had a feeling that may might have been the cause, I almost did something similar at one time

Old 03-19-2012, 06:38 PM   #5
chickypad
lupulin shift victim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 261 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 120

Embarrassed to say I've done this more than once and I have a Ranco controller for the ferment chamber. Hint - when cleaning or moving fermenters in and out make sure the temp probe doesn't fall out onto the garage floor in the middle of summer.

Beer was fine.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:59 PM   #6
40watt

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickypad View Post
Embarrassed to say I've done this more than once and I have a Ranco controller for the ferment chamber. Hint - when cleaning or moving fermenters in and out make sure the temp probe doesn't fall out onto the garage floor in the middle of summer.

Beer was fine.
Ha! I'll remember to look out for that.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:38 PM   #7
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 324

Wow, was there ANY yeast in the carboy? I froze a few bottles of an IPA I made and the lysed yeast made the beer worse than undrinkable. I nearly gagged. If you're studying for BJCP or the Cicerone's exam it's a good way to learn the autolysis flavor.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 03-19-2012, 11:27 PM   #8
40watt

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daksin View Post
Wow, was there ANY yeast in the carboy? I froze a few bottles of an IPA I made and the lysed yeast made the beer worse than undrinkable. I nearly gagged. If you're studying for BJCP or the Cicerone's exam it's a good way to learn the autolysis flavor.
Not much yeast. It had been fined with gelatin, and transfered to secondary because I dry hopped. Between that and the cold crash, what little yeast was present was left behind.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:13 AM   #9
Special Hops
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Best beer I ever made I grommet from airlock hole in the bucket lid fell into the wort right after I pitched yeast.

I sprayed my arm down good with starsan ad reached down in there and fit it out. I thought it was pretty well ruined.

Well that same batch won our monthly informal taste completion at our local brew club.

Up Next: Oatmeal Stout

Quick Reply