The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > froze my packet from Nothernbrewer . .

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2009, 05:07 PM   #1
GLoBaLReBeL
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default froze my packet from Nothernbrewer . .

Hey guys . . . I just wanted to ask . .

I just wanted to ask; I bought the Belgian Witbier extract kit from NB, and I got their liquid yeast packet from them. I accidentally froze it for like 30 minutes a while ago, and then put it in the fridge for the last 2 weeks. On the bag it says to not freeze it, and I was wondering if me freezing it for those 30 min, killed all the yeast?

Also, I did my first brew at the house yesterday and started off with 5 gallons of water, and i think I ended up with only 4.5 gallons of wort after all was said and done. Should i fill it up with another half gallon or does it really matter?

FINALLY, I popped the packet inside the yeast packet and let it sit for about an hour and a half. It said that the packet should inflate over this time, but mine never did. I just pitched it when the temp of my wort got to 78F.

How do you think I am? I pitched yesterday at 9PM and no activity today at 9AM. I know it can take 24 - 72 hours, but just being a noob

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2009, 05:14 PM   #2
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5983 Times on 5251 Posts
Likes Given: 672

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLoBaLReBeL View Post

On the bag it says to not freeze it, and I was wondering if me freezing it for those 30 min, killed all the yeast?
did it actually "freeze" for 30 minutes, or did you just put it in the freezer for 30 minutes?

It probably didn't kill them all, unless it was really cold when you put it in the freezer.

Old 09-18-2009, 05:21 PM   #3
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts

Freezing will kill yeast...

But like AZ asked, were they FROZE or just in the freezer for 30 mins. Huge difference.

Old 09-18-2009, 05:26 PM   #4
brrman
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 16

yeah if that yeast was actually frozen, its likely they are all dead... Freezing creates crystals, and those crystals rupture the cell walls of the yeast...

. SN Tumbler Clone
. Nierra Sevada
Secondary:
Primary:
. SN Tumbler Clone 10g
. Sycamore Oatmeal Porter 10g
. Nierra Sevada 10g
On Deck:
Kegged:

Being a perfectionist does not make one perfect.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:07 PM   #5
GLoBaLReBeL
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

DAMNIT!!! Well, that sucks big time! Should I just wait a day or two and see if I get any fermentation? Or should I shoot down to my local HBSS and pick up a yeast of the same strain and throw it in there?

Old 09-18-2009, 06:11 PM   #6
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I emailed white labs and wyeast about this last winter after having some freeze in shipping. They both said that it would only reduce viablilty by 10% and that it's much better than them getting too hot. Just make your starter a little bigger, if you use the pitching rate calculator you can decrease the viability by 10%.

By the way I made a starter out of my packs that had frozen solid and had a wonderful fermentation. In fact that beer won every competition I entered it in.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:27 PM   #7
brrman
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 16

well that some good news for sure. It's always better to wait and see what you get. I mean, I shouldn;t have said they would be "all" dead... But I am very surprised at the 10% viability reduction quote. I would expect it to be a lot more.

. SN Tumbler Clone
. Nierra Sevada
Secondary:
Primary:
. SN Tumbler Clone 10g
. Sycamore Oatmeal Porter 10g
. Nierra Sevada 10g
On Deck:
Kegged:

Being a perfectionist does not make one perfect.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:05 PM   #8
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts

So, if it only affects viability by 10%, why do people mess with freezing yeast with glycerine? Why dont we all freeze yeast? Papazian was just looking to fatten his book eh?

Last edited by The Pol; 09-18-2009 at 09:07 PM.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:10 PM   #9
Reedwalker
Recipes 

Sounds like you didn't make a starter either. This fact coupled with the reduced viability = wait 3 days before you freak.

And after 3 days check it with your hydrometer to make sure your freaking for good reason.

Hot on left, cold on right, $^*t rolls downhill, and paydays on Friday. You're now an apprentice plumber.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:21 PM   #10
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
So, if it only affects viability by 10%, why do people mess with freezing yeast with glycerine? Why dont we all freeze yeast? Papazian was just looking to fatten his book eh?
Because Papazian is a butt.

Seriously though, I don't know the answer, you'll have to take it up with Wyeast/White Labs. I have also heard Chris White say the same thing in interviews before and after my experience with it I feel very confident using frozen yeast. Perhaps they treat their vials/smack packs with glycerine or a form of it incase of freezing.

Quick Reply