Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > a friend tried one of my homebrews...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2012, 02:26 PM   #1
flushdrew42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default a friend tried one of my homebrews...

so, once i started talking about homebrewing, my friends all were making requests for what i should brew, as well as begging for bottles to try.

so, this week, 3 months after starting this hobby, i sent a couple bottles home with two coworkers.

i'm pretty pleased with the results of my porter - in fact, i picked up a 6 pack of New Belgium's 1554, which tastes nearly identical. (made me proud!)

anyway. i should keep in mind these guys are BMC drinkers (and are all infatuated with the new Bud Light Platinum)... but... i was not prepared for this text...

"keeping in mind it's an early brew of yours, it was pretty rough..."

ouch.
anyone else experience this?

i've been really impressed with it myself, it's malty, hoppy, has an almost roasty quality to it. black as the ace of spades, but clear when you shine a light thru it. decent head, good carb, leaves nice lacing on the glass...

makes me nervous about sharing... (oh well more for me!)

Drew
off suit brewing
grand island, nebraska
------------------------------
On Deck: APA
Primary:
Secondary: Cascadian IPA

Kegged: Heart Flush Irish Red Ale, Oatmeal Stout, American Wheat

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2012, 02:30 PM   #2
mikebowman
Recipes 

Naw, no biggie. Trying to introduce bmc drinkers to homebrew with a porter is a daunting task. I'm sure your beer is good, it's their palettes that are lacking!

Old 02-17-2012, 02:31 PM   #3
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 549 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Don't be discouraged. If you like it, that's really all you need. Take it to your homebrew shop or people who generally understand different styles - they'll be able to give you better feedback.

Your experience is VERY typical of homebrewers with BMC friends. It's different than what they're used to.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:34 PM   #4
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 398 Times on 316 Posts
Likes Given: 21

If they aren't craft brew drinkers in the first place, I wouldn't worry about it one iota. I really only care about the reviews of other homebrewers myself, as they know what goes into the beer and what should be the final result, and will usually give honest feedback.

Asking your BMC buddies what they think of your craft brew is like asking Obama what he thinks about your Flat Tax plan.

Primary #1 - Oktoberfest
Primary #2 - Chamomile Honey Wheat
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Coffee Vanilla Stout
Keg #2 - Fall of the Ukraine Baltic Porter (lagering in keg)
Keg #3 - EMPTY!
Bottled - NONE!

WhiteEagle1 Likes This 
Old 02-17-2012, 02:39 PM   #5
bad67z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 106 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
Don't be discouraged. If you like it, that's really all you need. Take it to your homebrew shop or people who generally understand different styles - they'll be able to give you better feedback.

Your experience is VERY typical of homebrewers with BMC friends. It's different than what they're used to.
Yes do this^^^, asking coworker who's pallets are not accustomed to anything but American light lagers is most likely not going to get you any good constructive criticism.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:42 PM   #6
flushdrew42
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

mike, ty, bad67z, and topher...
thanks. a ton.

i also gave a bottle to my homebrewer coworker, and he's going to let it sit in his fridge about a week, said he prefers that timeline for refrigeration.

i'm actually nervous about his opinion. b/c i've tried his beers and they are incredible. he has been brewing for 12 years, i've been brewing 12 weeks. but, he's been incredibly helpful, and has offered to let me brew on his self built "Top Tier" system. we'll split the grist and he'll give me 5 gallons and he'll keep 5.

i should have realized a BMC guy isn't a good critic.
i've never been a BMC guy, and i love porters, stouts and Rye beers. (not saying i don't drink coors every now and again)

Drew
off suit brewing
grand island, nebraska
Primary:

Old 02-17-2012, 02:43 PM   #7
aiptasia
Recipes 

Liked 531 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 162

It's fine. I'm sure the porter is great, and they just don't have the pallete to appreciate the style of beer you're brewing. I've encountered the same thing with my family. I unveiled my wildflower honey black ale at our annual family New Years Eve party and it went over like a lead balloon.

I was the only one drinking it by the end of the evening. It's malty with belgian yeast and wildflower honey backnotes with a hint of cinnamon and vanilla. They all panned it in favor of coors and mic ultra. It's what they've been conditioned into believing beer should taste like. I don't hold it against them. It just means more for me!

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:44 PM   #8
stratslinger
Brewing Thespian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Absolutely agreed with TyTanium and bad67z. Another suggestion: if you can, find a local homebrew club. You can get some honest and accurate feedback there, as well as some suggestions on how to correct stuff IF stuff actually needs correcting! Plus, a bunch of cool folks to brew with, which is always a plus.

I've got several co-workers with various tastes that I've shared brews with, and so far I've only had one real surprise response like you've described - and that in itself I've found surprising!

Old 02-17-2012, 02:46 PM   #9
frazier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I once took a 6 of Deception Cream Stout to the in-laws. I found out later that SIL "had to put salt in it to make it drinkable" - !! Yikes!

You just gotta shrug those things off. SWMBO and I both love Deception, so I'll keep making it. I found other brews that they like, so everyone is happy.

~
"Anything worth doing, is worth doing slowly." ~~ Mae West

Last edited by frazier; 02-17-2012 at 02:48 PM. Reason: speling

Old 02-17-2012, 02:53 PM   #10
flushdrew42
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

i've got an APA going, and an amber and golden/blonde-ish that are just about ready to drink. i think giving him/them a lighter colored beer might make a huge difference.

there's a homebrew club 45 miles away, and they only meet quarterly. but i'm going to try to make their march meeting.

Drew
off suit brewing
grand island, nebraska
Primary:

Quick Reply