Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > fresh lemon zest vs mccormics lemon peel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2011, 09:24 PM   #1
OHIOSTEVE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default fresh lemon zest vs mccormics lemon peel

I want to do a lemon beer and like the looks of the SQUEEZE MY LEMON SUMMER BLOND... The recipe calls for the zest of 2 lemons.. I have McCormicks dried lemon peel. Any idea how to convert this? I make the blue moon and use .5 oz orange zest.. would the same in lemon be about right?

BALDGUT BREWS

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2011, 09:41 PM   #2
Captain Damage
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Dried lemon peel includes the bitter "pith," the white part of the peel. The part you don't want. Zesting a fresh lemon deliberately avoids the pith.

Stop using so much caramel malt. Your beer will thank you.
(yes, Carapils is a caramel malt...so is Special B)

FERMENTING

BOTTLED
pujwI HIq Mild Ale
KPA Khitomer Pale Ale

Old 04-10-2011, 03:36 AM   #3
Pandaren
Recipes 

ya, something like McCormicks will have the pith. Other places I've heard have just straight dehydrated peel. Anyway, check your recipe to see if it specifies for fresh or dried peel/zest. If it calls for dried and you use fresh, you'll need to use more fresh to make up for the water weight that's in the fresh zest.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:49 PM   #4
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2004 Times on 1755 Posts
Likes Given: 1477

Well,with herbs,you use twice as much fresh as dried. The dried herbs being stronger. That's one way to look at it. But I have a zester which cuts the colored part off in tiny julienne strips. Perfect for our needs.
It is only a couple inches long,& the cutting end looks like mini brass knuckles. The "finger holes" have a cutting edge on one side. Kinda semi-fluted you might say.
It does take a little practice to get good at using it,as I found out. But it's way better than using a peeler. You get less pith with the zester.

Quick Reply