fresh lemon zest vs mccormics lemon peel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I want to do a lemon beer and like the looks of the SQUEEZE MY LEMON SUMMER BLOND... The recipe calls for the zest of 2 lemons.. I have McCormicks dried lemon peel. Any idea how to convert this? I make the blue moon and use .5 oz orange zest.. would the same in lemon be about right?

ya, something like McCormicks will have the pith. Other places I've heard have just straight dehydrated peel. Anyway, check your recipe to see if it specifies for fresh or dried peel/zest. If it calls for dried and you use fresh, you'll need to use more fresh to make up for the water weight that's in the fresh zest. :)

Well,with herbs,you use twice as much fresh as dried. The dried herbs being stronger. That's one way to look at it. But I have a zester which cuts the colored part off in tiny julienne strips. Perfect for our needs.
It is only a couple inches long,& the cutting end looks like mini brass knuckles. The "finger holes" have a cutting edge on one side. Kinda semi-fluted you might say.
It does take a little practice to get good at using it,as I found out. But it's way better than using a peeler. You get less pith with the zester.

Back