*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > French farmhouse ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2012, 11:14 PM   #1
Riv
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default French farmhouse ale

Newbie here,

About to do my first French farmhouse ale...anything particular I should pay attention to/advice? Using wlp072 yeast.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2012, 11:29 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2734 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I'm using now in a saison of my own.

They like somewhat warm temps, in the low 70's. It's also supposedly a slow producer so expect to leave it for a month in primary. I've read though where it tends to get stuck, and sometimes you need to crank the heat up into the 80's on week four of fermentation.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-25-2012, 11:44 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2734 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I just pulled a sample of mine (brewed on May 5th.) WOW, it's down to around 1.005, I've never had a beer finish so low before.

FYI, don't panic when the krausen falls and you check on it, it's a "chunky" yeast. There are a lot of floaties bobbing up and down on the surface, like yeast iceburghs.

But the beer itself is clear of anything, though slightly hazy. Mine is a darker saison. It's kinda like the color of brandy.

I'm thinking of racking some or adding some figs and or dates to it now....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

beerandloathinginaustin Likes This 
Old 05-26-2012, 02:33 AM   #4
Riv
Recipes 

Hi, thanks for the info!

Just finished brewing..my og is 1056 and it said that it should be 1059...what does that mean for my brew?

Thanks

Old 09-11-2012, 09:30 AM   #5
beerandloathinginaustin
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riv View Post
Hi, thanks for the info!

Just finished brewing..my og is 1056 and it said that it should be 1059...what does that mean for my brew?

Thanks
Disaster! Take the bucket/carboy on the next voyage in your vehicle. Proceed to throw it at the first car that angers you.

Or you're fine. Just a few points low. An ever so slightly smaller beer. You decide.
www.BJCPhero.com - Certified Cicerone and Lead Cellarman for Refuge Brewery. Trying to win an award in all 23 BJCP beer categories (7 down so far with 19 awards) & taking Brett excursions along the way.

Quick Reply