Freakin headaches with this batch!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BansheeRider

Reaction score
Been posting a lot of threads lately. If you've read my other threads this beer has been a bit of a headache for me. Despite the low temps and the yeast not fermenting, I managed to increase temps and kick off fermentation yesterday. Well now I woke up this morning and it's fermenting at 74 degrees, which is the high end for US-05 yeast. My closet smells fruity and is maintaining this temp. I moved it down stairs to a cooler environment.

My question is....is my beer ruined? I like fermenting at 66-68 degrees not 72-74. I know it's within range for this yeast but the smells are throwing me off. I think it's been fermenting above 72 degrees now for about 18 hours. It is now at 74 and sitting in a cooler environment. Will leaving this beer in primary for a couple weeks give the yeast a chance to fix things? I should have enough beer to drink in the mean time.

It's not going to ruin your beer, but there might be some fruity esters.You should try to get the temp down though to minimize any fusels or other high alcohols.

It's not going to ruin your beer, but there might be some fruity esters.You should try to get the temp down though to minimize any fusels or other high alcohols.

That's why I moved the fermenter down stairs, it's warmer upstairs. Will leaving the beer on the yeast cake for 2-3 weeks fix any off flavors that was produced?

I think your yeast stain is pretty forgiving, some strains are more sensitive to temps, as long as you're in range of the strain it might not affect the flavor that much.

I think your yeast stain is pretty forgiving, some strains are more sensitive to temps, as long as you're in range of the strain it might not affect the flavor that much.

I've just seen so many people say that you want to ferment at the lower temp range. I know the beer will be ok, hell, I am still such a newb that I probably won't even notice off flavors.

Will leaving the beer on the yeast cake for 2-3 weeks fix any off flavors that was produced?
Well, it won't hurt your beer to stand on the cake for a couple more weeks, giving it time to clean up some of its own mess. But it probaby won't fix everything, either. I'd let it stand a couple extra weeks if it was me.:cool:

+1 I use his yeast a lot and it is forgiving, what type of beer did you brew? You may have all ready said, but it is Sunday LoL... :drunk:

Back