Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Four days, no airlock activity.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2011, 02:25 AM   #1
Accordionbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Four days, no airlock activity.

another _ days, no airlock activity post, but I'm a little concerned. I'm brewing a partial Castellain blond biere de garde recipe with Wyeast European Ale Yeast #1338. It does claim to be a slow starter but being on my fourth batch, this is new to me. OG was 1.061, four days later, it is at 1.049, but no airlock activity. I'm in good shape right?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2011, 02:30 AM   #2
BigTerp
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Yep. The hydromoter reading is telling the true story. Looks like things are moving along fine to me.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:30 AM   #3
birvine
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

With the gravity changing I would say you're fine.

B

Old 07-21-2011, 02:30 AM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2767 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Airlock activity is irrevelent. Just gravity points on a hydrometer.
Airlock bubbling (or lack) and fermentation are not the same thing. You have to separate that from your mindset. Airlock bubbling can be a sign of fermentation, but not a good one, because the airlock will often blip or not blip for various other reasons...so it is a tenuous connection at best.

Fermentation is not always "dynamic," just because you don't SEE anything happening, doesn't mean that any-thing's wrong,, and also doesn't mean that the yeast are still not working diligently away, doing what they've been doing for over 4,000 years.

That's why you need to take a gravity reading to know how your fermentation is going, NOT go by airlocks, or size of krausen, or a calendar, the horoscope or the phases of the moon (those things in my mind are equally accurate).

The most important tool you can use is a hydrometer. It's the only way you will truly know when your beer is ready...airlock bubbles and other things are faulty.

The only way to truly know what is going on in your fermenter is with your hydrometer. Like I said here in my blog, which I encourage you to read, Think evaluation before action you sure as HELL wouldn't want a doctor to start cutting on you unless he used the proper diagnostic instuments like x-rays first, right? You wouldn't want him to just take a look in your eyes briefly and say "I'm cutting into your chest first thing in the morning." You would want them to use the right diagnostic tools before the slice and dice, right? You'd cry malpractice, I would hope, if they didn't say they were sending you for an MRI and other things before going in....

You took a gravity reading, so you KNOW fermentation is happening, REGARDLESS of your stupid airlock.

It's fine.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply