Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Forgot to take Original Gravity

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2007, 10:33 PM   #1
shamukaiser
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Forgot to take Original Gravity

Alright, so I brewed my second beer, a Pumpkin Ale, but I forget to take the OG... D'ogh!The recipe says that OG 1.056,, and Final 1.014. I will probably move it to a secondary after 5 days or so, and then leave it in the seconday for a couple weeks.. then bottle....

Is is safe to watch the secondary and after a couple of weeks, when the readings remain the same, bottle it? I don't want any exploding bottles...

What do you think about me trying a little in 2.5 weeks? (for turkey Day)

Thanks

Shamu

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2007, 10:38 PM   #2
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Many a homebrewer makes great beer without ever touching an hydrometer. I've never made a pumpkin ale, but the rule of thumb is 1-2-3. One week in primary, two weeks in secondary, and three weeks in the bottle. you could probably rush it along a little, but it'll taste better if you're patient.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 11-05-2007, 02:59 AM   #4
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You are in the group...too anxious to wait...and your beer will suffer for it. Your medium-high gravity brew will take at least 10 days to ferment out. Another 2 weeks in the secondary then 3 or more weeks in the bottle.

I'm going to guess that you used some clove, ginger nutmeg, pumpkin pie spices or a combination of the listed? Chances are your brew will be ready NEXT year, but not this one.

The spices I mentioned take a long time to mellow out.

You can try it, but don't expect success in the short time period you left yourself with.

Sorry, but someone had to say it.

Last edited by homebrewer_99; 11-05-2007 at 03:02 AM.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:53 AM   #5
IowaStateFan
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I see you've been chastised (and rightly so) for trying to rush things, but no one has really answered your question: "Is is safe to watch the secondary and after a couple of weeks, when the readings remain the same, bottle it?" Yes, it'll be safe and you won't get bottle bombs if the gravity is close to the predicted final gravity and stable for a couple of days. Forgetting the O.G. reading is no big deal. As a matter of fact, I don't take an O.G. reading on my extract brews because I've had enough squirrely readings to decide that it's not worth the trouble (not to mention the waste of good wort).

Old 11-05-2007, 12:49 PM   #6
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

All of the above is Excellent advise. The only thing I would add is go get your self some good commercial brew and drink that while you're waiting so you won't be tempted to drink your home brew green or rush things.

You know the old song "You Can't Hurry Love" well you can't hurry beer either.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:04 PM   #7
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Green pumpkin beer will probably be really bad. I suppose you could put some in a 2L plastic bottle with priming sugar when you move the rest to the clearing tank, but ...

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply