Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Forgot steeping grains!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2012, 10:13 PM   #1
HappyDrunk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Forgot steeping grains!

So I made an excellent kit that I decided I would go ahead and buy 5 batches of in bulk to save some bucks. Only problem was I forgot that it called for .5lb of carapils! Am I going to lose that much flavor? Is there anything I may have around the house to sub for them? There is a health food shop right next to me, but I can't imagine them having that ... do you think? In case you can't tell, I'm lost here, lol.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 10:30 PM   #2
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 236 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 446

Your almost 5 batches ahead on supplies so really only the next brew is delayed.
Order what you need and whatever it takes to make shipping worth it and brew what you know works.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:42 PM   #3
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 566 Times on 334 Posts
Likes Given: 201

Filling in the ingredient or two you forgot to order in bulk is where a local homebrew shop comes in handy. They'll have cara. It adds some slight and aids in head retention.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:01 PM   #4
HappyDrunk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
Filling in the ingredient or two you forgot to order in bulk is where a local homebrew shop comes in handy. They'll have cara. It adds some slight and aids in head retention.
That's where I got the bulk, but the term "local" hardly applies in my case. About an hour drive away. Can't go back today. I'm just making it without this time. I'll go get some before the next brew session though. I was just wondering if a health food store would have something I could possibly use in place. Or maybe even something I'd have around the house like coffee. Either way ... my cara pils-less brew is boiling away, and I cracked open a 2 month old 8% brown ale to relax.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:13 PM   #5
BigBlueDog
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Carapils is Breiss's version of a dextrin malt. It contributes basically no color or flavor, but as BierMuncher said, can help with foam, and enhance mouthfeel. It might interesting to compare the batch made with it against the one you're making now to see if there's any difference.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:26 PM   #6
HappyDrunk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlueDog View Post
Carapils is Breiss's version of a dextrin malt. It contributes basically no color or flavor, but as BierMuncher said, can help with foam, and enhance mouthfeel. It might interesting to compare the batch made with it against the one you're making now to see if there's any difference.
Great way to look at it ... I'll use it as a learning experience on the difference the steeping grains make. I can live with a lil different mouthfeel. I'm just worried about the flavor.

Quick Reply