The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Forgot to put water in air lock! Doh!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2012, 08:11 AM   #1
samsdaddy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Forgot to put water in air lock! Doh!!!

Hi Beer Monsters,
I'm brand new to Home Brewing but very keen to learn more. I read lots of reviews on beer kits for newbies and one seemed to keep cropping up......I managed to lay my hands on some Woodforde's Wherry and mixed the kit up as per the instructions yesterday.
I looked at it today and noticed that I had completely forgotten to put some water/vodka in the airlock (lesson #1 Don't brew when you're in a rush to get to the pub) Anyway, I was wondering if this will have ruined the batch? Luckily I have another kit to start as a backup for the Christmas brew so I'm not overly concerned.
Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks, Wils

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2012, 08:16 AM   #2
ThePonchoKid
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Nah nothing's ruined. There's air in there until the active fermentation resultant co2 pushes it out, and by then the surface is probably covered with co2 gas. Top er up and you're good to go imo

Old 10-14-2012, 08:46 AM   #3
petey_c
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You'll be fine. Put some alcohol in now. I use the cheapest vodka I can buy.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:18 AM   #4
samsdaddy
Recipes 

That's great news, thanks guys, I have already put water in my I shall swap it for vodka today. I'm starting the other batch tonight regardless. It's going to be a very merry Christmas! :-)

Old 10-14-2012, 01:08 PM   #5
christpuncher123
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsdaddy View Post
Hi Beer Monsters,
I'm brand new to Home Brewing but very keen to learn more. I read lots of reviews on beer kits for newbies and one seemed to keep cropping up......I managed to lay my hands on some Woodforde's Wherry and mixed the kit up as per the instructions yesterday.
I looked at it today and noticed that I had completely forgotten to put some water/vodka in the airlock (lesson #1 Don't brew when you're in a rush to get to the pub) Anyway, I was wondering if this will have ruined the batch? Luckily I have another kit to start as a backup for the Christmas brew so I'm not overly concerned.
Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks, Wils

Thanks
The biggest concern you should have is not the airlock, it's that you haven't started that second batch yet! It doesn't tend to last very long around here.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:31 PM   #6
samsdaddy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by christpuncher123

The biggest concern you should have is not the airlock, it's that you haven't started that second batch yet! It doesn't tend to last very long around here.
I've just had a half pint sample from the keg in the garage!! WOW! It's already better than the Holden's shop purchased Golden Glow I've been drinking this evening!! :-) this is going to be a test of my patience.... Luckily the second batch is already in the barrel....Just for info I brewed it to 20 litres and batch primed with Sainsbury's unrefined golden sugar, thanks again for your reassurance!

Old 11-06-2012, 09:37 PM   #7
volktc
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

I use cheap vodka for my airlocks and sanitizing my bottlecaps

Old 11-06-2012, 09:41 PM   #8
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1826 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 1296

20L vs 23L will give a bit more body & a hair more ABV. Just keep the temps down to at least 18-20C for the ale yeast.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:24 PM   #9
samsdaddy
Recipes 

I have another Wherry related question... I'm trying a cold crash on a new Wherry brew (it's been in the Primary for 14 Days and got down to 1014) I plan to syphon this off into another wherry brew in a pressure barrel which is coming to its end. Has anybody ever syphoned a new brew into an existing keg with about 2 litres of an old brew remaining in the bottom? Or is the risk of infection too high?? I was going to batch prime with a warm sugar syrup boiled in a small amount of the old brew and pour this in during the siphoning....... Your opinions would be much appreciated. Cheers

Quick Reply