Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Forgot hops...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2009, 04:22 AM   #1
BillyDee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Forgot hops...

I asked the beer kit store employee if I had everything required to make a batch to which he confirmed. I dorve home which is two hours away. I posted on here and someone asked if I had hops and I replied no.He told me to get them or the batch would be on the flat side and no bite.

I now have a 1.5kg can of Black Rock (New Zealand) Draught which is prehopped and a 1.5kg can of light Black Rock malt extract. The manager told me to mix the two together for a 23 litre batch but thought I would come on here and get your opinions.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2009, 04:30 AM   #2
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 483 Times on 385 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyDee View Post
I asked the beer kit store employee if I had everything required to make a batch to which he confirmed. I dorve home which is two hours away. I posted on here and someone asked if I had hops and I replied no.He told me to get them or the batch would be on the flat side and no bite.

I now have a 1.5kg can of Black Rock (New Zealand) Draught which is prehopped and a 1.5kg can of light Black Rock malt extract. The manager told me to mix the two together for a 23 litre batch but thought I would come on here and get your opinions.

Thanks
Got yeast?

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 05-19-2009, 04:33 AM   #3
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 613 Times on 355 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Sounds like you'll be on the low hop level. I'd guess you'll end up with a Scottish Export (80) style ale. Malty. Moderately strong. Low hop bitterness and flavor. Not a bad beer at all.

Old 05-19-2009, 05:03 AM   #4
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The mix is pre-hopped so you're covered. I suggest making pre-hopped mixes "stock" the first time anyway. Then you can decide what additions (if any) are needed, and what kind (bittering, flavor, aroma, etc.)

Old 05-19-2009, 12:39 PM   #5
beersydoesit
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

23 liters is in the 6 gallon area I think. Will you be using a 7 gallon (26+ liter) pail? You'll want to be sure you have room and may need a blowwoff tube.

Dave in Madison

Quick Reply