****! Forgot to aerate!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solidghost

Reaction score
Oh I think I am in deep trouble. I have done a pilsener (from the Cooper's Pilsener Kit) and I somehow forgot to aerate my wort! I really hope that there won't be any problem with stuck fermentation.

What do you guys think?

How long ago did you pitch the yeast? Is it actively fermenting yet? If it isn't just shake it up.

Several hours before I remembered. The krausen is already fully blown, so should I start to aerate now?

No, if it's going you don't want to add any oxygen now. If your yeast has a high enough cell count and is healthy, you should be alright.

What was your OG. If it's on the low side of 1.055, you'll probably be OK. But you may need to pitch again if it sticks.

(Warning: Advice from a noob coming up ...)

If the fermentation sticks try adding a microscopic amount of olive-oil; say dip a piece of wire in the oil then into a small amount of water, boil then pitch. This can replace aeration; my understanding of the process is that aeration is necessary for the yeast to produce lipids during the initial growth phase; the olive-oil provides these directly so the yeast can skip that step. Discussion here and elsewhere, the full paper that started it all is here. Apparently some breweries (Struise?) now use this method exclusively.

The olive-oil trick only works in a starter, once you've pitched it won't make any difference.

Did you do a full boil, or did you do a partial boil and then top up the fermenter with water? If you topped up, there will be oxygen in the water you add, so that will help.

Apparently some breweries (Struise?) now use this method exclusively.

Definately not exclusively, but they (deStruise) have been experimenting with it. You may have had a Fat Tire that was made using this method, New Belgium has been experimenting also.

As far as the OP goes, if you made this from a kti and added top off water to bring it to 5 gallons, then most likely you added enough oxygen just by adding that top off water to your brew. Now that it is fermenting, you know that at least they got the job done, perhaps ineffeciently, but done none the less. You DO NOT want to introduce any oxygen at any point from here until it reaches your glass. Your brew will be fine.

I topped up with mineral water from several bottles I purchased. Do they have enough oxygen in them? I doubt it , since they are mineral water and they don't want oxygen in them bottles too.

If you didn't boil the water, you'll be fine. Boiling drives off oxygen, but that bottled water will be fine, especially if you poured it in. Don't worry- it sounds just fine!

I agree that you are probably fine. Whatever happens, though, do not try to aerate now. Once your yeast starts producing ethanol, oxygen becomes your enemy.

TL

I've got a secret. Shhhh. Don't tell anyone.

I've never aerated. ... and all my beers have always fermented out just fine.

Anyways, it seems to be okay.
It is now currently bubbling happily for about 2 days now. All seems fine.

Are you doing low gravity beers?
Usually, but I've also done several beers between 1.080 and 1.090.

Oh, and here's another secret. I've never made a starter, either. ;)

Not that I believe those things aren't good. I'm sure they are and can help prevent the occasional slow start and stuck fermentation. I just never have and my beer has always fermented out just fine. YMMV. Watch, my next brew will fail to take off and will stop around 1.030 now. :D

Back