The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > force carbonating/drinking warm beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2009, 06:27 AM   #1
mikeylikeybeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default force carbonating/drinking warm beer

I am brewing up an IPA and the primary finally stopped, so i threw it in a corny keg and cranked it to 30 psi while i rolled it on the ground. I plan on drinking it warm, as i dont have a kegerator yet - plan to convert a lift-top freezer soon.

my questions are: will it age faster if its never refrigerated?

does/has anyone drank their beer warm?

will it carbonate and stay carbonated?

and at what PSI should i dispense warm beer - i thought i saw a formula on here to calculate this stuff, but the temperature is usually a constant at 40 degrees, and it's like 80 here...

Aloha

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2009, 10:03 AM   #2
hercher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 6

It will take longer to carbonate at the warmer temperature.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:43 PM   #3
eelpout
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeylikeybeer View Post

does/has anyone drank their beer warm?

will it carbonate and stay carbonated?

and at what PSI should i dispense warm beer - i thought i saw a formula on here to calculate this stuff, but the temperature is usually a constant at 40 degrees, and it's like 80 here...

Aloha
Oh yea untill this year I did not have a fridge for my kegs. It will stay carbed just fine. I had a pretty long line like maybe 12 feet or so but I think my pressure at reg was 8 or 10 (dont remember). those charts will get you close but youll have to fiddle with it.

My garage was closed up for a few days last month, I had a case of beer sitting on the bench so that beer was what ever temp the garage was. The thermomator said 120. they were good at that temp too

Old 08-21-2009, 01:20 PM   #4
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 287 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 196

Use the pressure charts to determine what PSI to set your regulator to account for the warmer temperatures.

Here is an idea instead of drinking warm beer...make yourself one of these:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/we-n...eer-gun-24678/

and then dispense into some soda bottles (12oz, 1L, 2L, whatever) that you can then throw into your fridge to chill down to serving temps. Use multiple soda bottles so when you finish off one, refill and rechill.

Slightly more work than pulling a pint directly from the tap, but then you get to drink your beer the way it was meant to be drunk!

Old 10-01-2010, 04:09 PM   #5
countrygent73
Recipes 

I force carb and serve all my beer room temp. To make matters worse, I use a rather short line (4') and a picnic tap. It actually works great! I've found 8psi to be the magic serving preassure, and wouldn't you know it; I've developed a taste for warm beer. Making do with what you got is a big part of homebrewing in my experience. As time goes along you upgrade where you can.

Quick Reply