Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Following a recipe in US Gallons :/

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2012, 08:21 PM   #1
seriousbeef
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Following a recipe in US Gallons :/

Just hovering over a few recipies from TastyBrew, and I notice this site may well be American, and hence, so might be their gallons. So, I am in some dilemma. If the batch size is 5 gal according to tastybrew, and I presume its in UK gals, then the ingredients quantities will be matched for US gallons and it will all go pete tong. I genuinely don't know what to do. I suppose the only answer would be to recalculate and transfer everything over to UK measurements I guess?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2012, 09:06 PM   #2
iambeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 157 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Since it's a user driven recipe database, each recipe might be different and unmarked. Maybe you should use another source, like on BYO they list gallons and liters. Or use a book that is clear on this matter, or the recipes on this website (the authors here are reachable and their locations are listed). Or if you are really into a recipe and are not sure about the liquid volume, maybe use a beer recipe tool to verify the projected gravity, IBU, etc.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:29 PM   #3
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Use any of the online recipe makers/calculators and assume US gallons. If you're calculated OG is about 25% higher than anticipated by the recipe writer, then the writer meant UK gallons. Multiply ingredients by 0.83.

1 UK gallon = 4.54L
1 US gallon = 3.75L

4.54L * 0.83 = 3.76L

MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Quick Reply