Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Foaming Gas Lock

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2010, 07:45 PM   #11
chriswilkes33
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer_Guy View Post
WARNING
Once the foam hits the airlock it needs to be cleaned as soon as possible. Minor temp changes can reduce the outflow of Co2 to nothing and give this sticky foam time to dry. Once dries it can be VERY hard and plug up the holes.

I picked glass shards out of sheetrock walls 20+ feet away once because of this. Do NOT forget to provide an escape for the Co2 gasses. (Sure glad we were not home!)
Your glass carboy blew up before the bung blew out the top of the fermentor? Holy crap. I have had a bung blow out and hit the ceiling along with a bit of fermenting wort but would never imagine the seal of the bung into the carboy opening to be stronger than the glass of the carboy itself.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2010, 09:52 PM   #12
Sammy75
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I think many folks do vodka or sanitizer in the blow off setup in case some gets sucked into your brew.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:57 PM   #13
Pseudonymous
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by akthor View Post
What temp are you fermenting at?
Room temperature, so currently right around 70 degrees F. Using this recipe with a White Labs English Ale liquid yeast.

Quote:
WARNING
Once the foam hits the airlock it needs to be cleaned as soon as possible. Minor temp changes can reduce the outflow of Co2 to nothing and give this sticky foam time to dry. Once dries it can be VERY hard and plug up the holes.
I took my three piece gas lock apart and dropped it in some cleaning solution right after I affixed the blow-out tube.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:07 PM   #14
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy75 View Post
I think many folks do vodka or sanitizer in the blow off setup in case some gets sucked into your brew.
This is a good idea if you leave it on long after fermentation or if you put it on prior to fermentation start, I usually have a long enough tube on so that the blowoff container in on the floor or well below the fermentor, never had suckback with it.

Newer, better, more streamlined sig as per the forum police.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:51 PM   #15
Beer_Guy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswilkes33 View Post
Your glass carboy blew up …
I was using one gallon wine jugs with the metal lid screwed on just a little. I switched to a baggy and rubber band after that.

But still, I cleanup any blow off ASAP.

[The reason for the post was I would hate to see someone get hurt because I did not mention the possibility. Some people use what they can and a glass jug with a LOOSE metal cap is a BAD idea.]

“Anyone can drink beer, but it takes intelligence to enjoy beer.” — Stephen Beaumont

No more recipies for me. My beer MUST be mine.

Quick Reply