Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Foamed out airlock several times...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2009, 03:31 PM   #1
tom_m
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Foamed out airlock several times...

Hi

I'm new to here and beer brewing. I am making my first batch and the airlock kept filling with foam. It even blew the plug out at one point.

I've cleaned and replaced it several times now and it's getting annoying.

I read here that the foam is supposed to subside a bit?

I don't have materials right now for a blow-off, my kit didn't come with it and no one at the store (and they were helpful and knowledgeable) told me I might need one or anything. Messy and annoying.

For now I have it in the guest bathroom, but as luck would have it, all this started happening when my girlfriend and her brother got back from a trip, so he'll of course want to take a shower at some point I suppose that's not a big issue, but what's really annoying is cleaning that airlock over and over.

Any suggestions? Is everything going to be ok?
With all the foam in the airlock and plug blowing out (time unattended while I was asleep...though not long, I got up early) is there any chance of it being tainted? I've been really thorough with cleaning everything. Airlock cleaned with iodine and boiled water each time. Slightly misshaped the airlock now too as a result...

Another good question. What's a sufficient cleaning product so I don't have to boil water all the time? I got iodine from the drug store..but even diluted it's a small bottle and stains. I got a bag of PBW with the kit, used it on cleaning carboy and other stuff though. Is that it? More PBW? Has to be an easier way of cleaning stuff when I have to keep cleaning the airlock every 6 hours.

Help??

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2009, 03:34 PM   #2
tom_m
Recipes 

P.S.

Fermentation into 36 hours right now and I can say with each time there's foam into the airlock there's less. It's not "exploding" the plug off anymore and only did once. Less foam in the airlock too with each "reset".

Old 06-15-2009, 03:36 PM   #3
BreckBastion
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have had my lid blow and still have beer stains on my textured celing that I can't get off. A simple blowoff is a good investment...and a cheap one.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:47 PM   #4
tom_m
Recipes 

...and a hard one to get in the middle of the night
I will get one for next time...

I guess I'm a little concerned though about everything being ruined.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:50 PM   #5
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Don't worry about it if there's that much pressure inside, nothing bad can get in.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:56 PM   #6
AJ_in_HD
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

here are some ideas to consider.

You didn't mention the type of airlock (or i missed it if you did) but you can usually attach tubing to the stem of the 3 piece airlock and make that a blowoff tube. Sure it doesn't have the inner diameter that some might prefer, but in a pinch that would have worked just fine. Also cut that little 'x' on the 3piece that goes into the primary. That just acts as a place to clog up and allow the pressure to build.

I'd recommend StarSan for your sanitation needs, it's great no-rinse sanitizer...keep some in a spray bottle as well.

I'm sure your beer will be fine...this has happened to me before and my beer turned out fine. Like others have said, with that much pressure going out...not much will go in!

cheers.

tom_m Likes This 
Old 06-15-2009, 04:01 PM   #7
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 572 Times on 337 Posts
Likes Given: 208

You have a lively beer going there. It's all fine.

If you can't get a blow off rigged, use a sanitized sauce pot to reach in and scoop off the top 2-3 inches of krausen. That will buy you several hours until the fermentation slows some.

Old 06-15-2009, 04:06 PM   #8
tom_m
Recipes 

cool thanks guys.
actually ok so here's where i cringe... i sanitized a tube and siphened some out. it's a plastic water cooler bottle type carboy... i couldn't scoop out krausen. i'm hoping all this means is i have less beer on my hands. i didn't take out a lot, maybe an inch or two. i just wanted to make more room.

hoping that was all ok...

thanks for the tips and i really like the idea of the spray bottle with star san. sounds very handy.

Old 06-15-2009, 04:08 PM   #9
tom_m
Recipes 

oh also, will the foam subside? or do i have to deal with this for two weeks?

Old 06-15-2009, 04:13 PM   #10
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 572 Times on 337 Posts
Likes Given: 208

You'll be fine. You may want to consider a 7.5 gallon bucket for future primary fermentations and reserve the smaller better bottle for secondary (clearing).

Yes, the krausen will subside, but timing will vary depending on the yeast strain you used.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Quick Reply