Foam in the secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gramps

Reaction score
I have had my American wheat in the secondary for 2 weeks now. I was going to take a reading today and hopefully bottle it. When I took the towel away that covers the carboy I was surprised to see a little bit of foam that has developed on the top. There's not a lot but I thought it would be somewhat clearer and nothing on top since it has had time to settle. Is this something to be concerned about as far as infection or is this just the way Wheat beers are? :confused:Cheers

smell can be a big indicator to infection. does it smell like beer? does it taste like beer?

I'd go ahead and take the gravity reading.

Since this is only my second brew if I taste it would it make an old man sick? Old man In Iowa dies from tasting his 2nd homebrew film at 11.

i have experienced this while brewing with malted or raw wheat. i don't know the scientific reason, but all of them turned out right. no worries.

even the 'infection' we're all scared of will not hurt you it will just ruin your beer. you'll live.

It could also be caused by continuing fermentation, the yeast could still be working to ferment some remaining sugars.

I bet it's alright though. Take a whiff, if it doesn't appal you, then take a sip.

i have experienced this while brewing with malted or raw wheat. i don't know the scientific reason, but all of them turned out right. no worries.

Funny you mention that, I had a similar foam on my Sam Summer Wheatr clone. Wife thought it was mold but it came out fine.

Am drinking one now!!!

Back