Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Foam all over

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2005, 05:39 AM   #1
El_Chuco
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Foam all over

Hello This is my first post and first attempt at making brew. I am sure this might have been asked before but I could not find a thread about it so excuse if its a repost. I finished reading the great book "Joy of Home Brewing" after buying my kit a week ago. I read a Zymurgy article on first time batch and some instructions given to me by my beer supply store. So I made my first batch last night and left it in the primary fermenter (6 gallon plastic bucket) with the airlock.

I woke up today and saw foam all over the top of the plastic fermenter and it was bubbling more and more. So I cleaned up the mess and went to work. Came back and it was still bubbling with foam coming out of the airlock. So my questions are:

1) Is this normal, I only heard it mentioned in the charlie papzian book that I might need a hose to extract this.

2) Did I use too much water (used 2.5 to boil the wort and 3 gallons at room temperature)?

3) Is the batch ruined and do I need to start over?

I am making a hefe-wiesen beer with some liquid yeast that I pitched after th e wort had cooled. I sanitized everything that could have touched the wort. So I am not sure if i did something wrong.

I might not have time tommarow to stop by the beer supply store ask these questions so I thought maybe some vets might know.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2005, 05:49 AM   #2
God Emporer BillyBrew

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Dude, you're cool. You're just having a blowout. You could put on a blow out tube. Search this forum for that subject and you should find out how to do that. Walker posted a month or so ago about how to do that. Happens all the time, especially with Weisens. You're water level might be a bit high, but it should be cool. Stick with 5 gallons for best results. Batch is definitely not ruined. Pull your airlock, sanitize it and reattach. You're making beer!

---------------------------------------------------
Desert Planet Brewing Co.

Primary :Bloody Nose Porter
Primary 2: Bloody Nose Porter
Secondary: Blackberry Melomel
Secondary 2:air
Bottled : 14 Pound Hammer Cider, Punkin Ale, know ale, Domino wheat
Keg 1: **** Inside Her
Keg 2: IPA
Keg 3: one on a weeknight, two on a weekend IIPA
Future : Ginger Cream Ale,

Old 12-17-2005, 06:00 AM   #3
El_Chuco
Recipes 

heh thank you and now im kinda fealing like a rookie ( i didnt see the search function on top for some reason), thanks for replying. Now I can go to bed knowing I didnt mess it up . Had to move it from the the breakfast area to my pantry since the foam made that area smell like mardi gras. I stuck one of my rubber hoses to the airlock and transfering it to a cooler.

Old 12-17-2005, 06:28 AM   #4
God Emporer BillyBrew

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

you mean just letting the blow out go to a cooler? I think you should put some clean water in the cooler as a large sized air lock. You're in good shape, just need to make sure you're keeping stuff from getting through that tube.

---------------------------------------------------
Desert Planet Brewing Co.

Primary :Bloody Nose Porter
Primary 2: Bloody Nose Porter
Secondary: Blackberry Melomel
Secondary 2:air
Bottled : 14 Pound Hammer Cider, Punkin Ale, know ale, Domino wheat
Keg 1: **** Inside Her
Keg 2: IPA
Keg 3: one on a weeknight, two on a weekend IIPA
Future : Ginger Cream Ale,

Old 12-17-2005, 03:31 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

You had a blowout on your first batch? You obviously have great potential as a homebrewer. Took me eight or ten batches.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply