Floating trub = Krausen that didn't fall?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drathbone

Reaction score
I brewed a 5g batch kolsch and split into 2 using WLP 029 and Wyeast Kolsch smack pack and both of them were in the primary for exactly 35 days. I check them around day 25ish and saw the krausen hadn't fallen, so I didn't a gentle swirl and let it sit for 10 more days.

Nothing. I bottled them today and there was a pancake on top of both of my beers and virtually 0 trub in the bottom - which I've had with every other beer I've made. Is this normal for Kolsch yeast? They both smelled and tasted great and I can't complain the racking was clean since the trub was on the top and not the bottom.

Its been a while since I brewed a kolsch so I can't remember specifically. But some yeast strains do like to stay at the top...nothing to worry about.

I brewed a 5g batch kolsch and split into 2 using WLP 029 and Wyeast Kolsch smack pack and both of them were in the primary for exactly 35 days. I check them around day 25ish and saw the krausen hadn't fallen, so I didn't a gentle swirl and let it sit for 10 more days.

Nothing. I bottled them today and there was a pancake on top of both of my beers and virtually 0 trub in the bottom - which I've had with every other beer I've made. Is this normal for Kolsch yeast? They both smelled and tasted great and I can't complain the racking was clean since the trub was on the top and not the bottom.

Don't know what to tell you on the cake not falling. I have brewed about 10 extract batches and the krausen has always fallen. It took a couple weeks and i fermented around 60f.

I always have lots of trub with 2565, its messy yeast that likes to stay on surface for extended periods of time, but as soon as you cold crash it it settles quickly, never had it in primary for 35+ days, usually 3-4 weeks max with great results

Back