Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Floating trub = Krausen that didn't fall?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2011, 03:39 AM   #1
drathbone
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Floating trub = Krausen that didn't fall?

I brewed a 5g batch kolsch and split into 2 using WLP 029 and Wyeast Kolsch smack pack and both of them were in the primary for exactly 35 days. I check them around day 25ish and saw the krausen hadn't fallen, so I didn't a gentle swirl and let it sit for 10 more days.

Nothing. I bottled them today and there was a pancake on top of both of my beers and virtually 0 trub in the bottom - which I've had with every other beer I've made. Is this normal for Kolsch yeast? They both smelled and tasted great and I can't complain the racking was clean since the trub was on the top and not the bottom.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2011, 07:05 AM   #2
Bensiff
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 324 Times on 252 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Its been a while since I brewed a kolsch so I can't remember specifically. But some yeast strains do like to stay at the top...nothing to worry about.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:29 PM   #3
dhertel
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drathbone View Post
I brewed a 5g batch kolsch and split into 2 using WLP 029 and Wyeast Kolsch smack pack and both of them were in the primary for exactly 35 days. I check them around day 25ish and saw the krausen hadn't fallen, so I didn't a gentle swirl and let it sit for 10 more days.

Nothing. I bottled them today and there was a pancake on top of both of my beers and virtually 0 trub in the bottom - which I've had with every other beer I've made. Is this normal for Kolsch yeast? They both smelled and tasted great and I can't complain the racking was clean since the trub was on the top and not the bottom.
Don't know what to tell you on the cake not falling. I have brewed about 10 extract batches and the krausen has always fallen. It took a couple weeks and i fermented around 60f.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:57 PM   #4
paraordnance
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I always have lots of trub with 2565, its messy yeast that likes to stay on surface for extended periods of time, but as soon as you cold crash it it settles quickly, never had it in primary for 35+ days, usually 3-4 weeks max with great results

Quick Reply