Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > floating sediments in second fermenter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2007, 07:47 PM   #1
goochimo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default floating sediments in second fermenter

Hi there,

First time brewer here...and in the process of the first batch. I am two weeks into second carboy, and noticed two things that are strange. 1) there are still sediments/hops floating near the top.
2) My wheat beer, actually a clone of Bells Oberon, is quite dark....is this normal? Does the Wort change color during fermentation? what could i have done wrong to have it so dark?

looks more like a Nut Brown than a Wheat beer.
any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated!

thanks,
G

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2007, 08:23 PM   #2
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 207 Times on 113 Posts

it looks dark because there are 5 gallons sitting in the carboy, it will be lighter in the glass. however, using extract will cause it to darken a bit due to carmelization. you can minimize this by adding the majority of your extract at the end of the boil.

the sediment floating in it is nothing to worry about

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 09-07-2007, 09:04 PM   #3
IndyPABrewGuy
Recipes 

As long as its floating sediment . . . . If its swimming, that's a different story.

Primary: Nada
Secondary: The Ultimate Table Beer
Bottled: The Mothman Barley Wine, Hwart's Bitter
Drinking: Water
On Deck: ???

Old 09-07-2007, 10:44 PM   #4
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

trapped CO2 will cling to bits of hops and trub, causing it to float. just avoid racking it to the bottling bucket/keg.

extract brews are often a little darker than 'true style' due to how extract is made, and that most extract brewers do partial boils, creating a thicker wort that darkens a bit. Late extract additions address the darkness, as well as hop utilization...as in "why isn't my extract Pale Ale very hoppy?".

the higher the gravity of your wort boil, the harder to get hops to bitter the wort.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 09-07-2007, 11:40 PM   #5
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 585 Times on 343 Posts
Likes Given: 220

Sounds perfect to me.

Once you taste your great beer, the darker color will be forgiven. Extract brewing carries with it the slight downside of darker tones.

There will always be floaties (not to be confused with floaters) in your carboys. Siphon around them and the chill effect of the bottles will driveany remaining solids to the bottom of the bottle.

Quick Reply