The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Floating Sediment in my first batch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2013, 12:23 AM   #1
warhost
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Floating Sediment in my first batch

Hey guys,

I cracked open my firmentation bucket and am transferring the beer to the bottling bucket, but there is an awful lot of floating, suspended sediment in the beer. Using a pre-made american wheat kit from pelletized hops and liquid extract.

Is this normal? I'd rather not gross-out potential drinkers.

EDIT: By the way, this sediment is flaky, not just yeast.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 01:02 AM   #2
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 450 Times on 419 Posts
Likes Given: 200

A picture would help but it sounds normal and you have not given the beer enough time to clear and let everything drop bright. If the beer is completely done fermenting and is at FG them give it another week to clear. If you want you can cold crash the vessel for a few days to speed up the clearing and then bottle.

How long has it been fermenting and has it reached FG? Have you tasted and smelled it?

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 01-19-2013, 04:12 AM   #3
gelatin
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Definitely need a picture. How big are the flakes and what do they taste like?

Old 01-19-2013, 05:13 AM   #4
warhost
Recipes 

Honestly, this is my first gig, so I don't know. I've already bottled it by now and put in the priming sugar solution. It was probably, as I hear, "yeast rafts" or whatever. It was definitely done fermenting. It sat in the fermentation bucket for six weeks. The airlock nozzle was level, BTW, as I hear that is a good indication if fermentation is done.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:33 AM   #5
timduncan200021
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

I definitely recommend cold crashing for a minimum of the last three days. I place mine in an ice water bath in a cooler and refresh ice as needed. The majority of sediment will drop to the bottom and be cemented there so that you can move to bottling with limited amount of sediment transfer.

Quick Reply