Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Flip top bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2011, 09:06 AM   #1
AZbrewer1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Flip top bottles

ok so i have had my first brew sitting in the fermenter for about 18 days. I ended up ordering 12 1 liter flip top bottles from monsterbrew.com cause that was the most cost effective way of getting the bottles i needed. ( didn't find out till later that there was aplace here to get grolsh but that's another story) got the bottles today and thought " hell, i'll just put on the flip caps tonight then sanitize and bottle tomorrow night after bio lab is done" first bottle.....the neck broke cutting the crap out of me. is there a specfic trick to getting these things on right or am i gonna need to spread out all of the wirre tabs that slip into the holes on either side of the neck? any info on assembling these things would be appreciated

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2011, 09:24 AM   #2
Priemus
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Interesting. There is another thread on here posted a few weeks ago as well with someone that ordered fliptop bottles and the necks broke whenever he tried to close them, and again wondered if there is a trick to it.

There really isnt a trick to it. I wonder if the swings are too small for the bottle, or the rubber gasket is too large/hard or something.

Ill try find the thread.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:27 AM   #3
Priemus
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/help-these-bottles-236828/

Looks like its the 1L monster brew bottles causing the problem then. Send em back.

the solution was:

"Figured it out, the stopper thing in the case I just opened was slightly smaller and they work perfectly.

The first case has the wrong stoppers included, would have been nice to know before breaking a **** load of them and injuring myself, but it is what it is."

Id be pretty angry that this is happening more than once and they arnt solving the problem and customers are getting hurt.

Old 05-04-2011, 04:41 PM   #4
AZbrewer1
Recipes 

ok got ahold of monsterbrew and i guess what they are going to do is send me an entirely new case of what he said were called ez caps. from what they guy said they are a slightly different design of the flip top bottle and are supposed to come pre assembled. they are also going to send me what is supposed to be the proper flip top assembly for the botles i have and if they work then i can get replacements for these bottles they sent. looks like they are doing what is proper to try and make things right. will let you guys know how things end up. am still kinda pissed cause now i have to rack out of my primary , clean it and sanitize and rack back in cause i don't have a secondary and didn't plan to use one. was really looking forward to getting my first brew bottled this afternoon as far as getting hurt i did cut my hand a couple times and the guy kinda freaked out over it saying that he wanted to get me the different bottles and caps so i wouldn't hurt myself again lol

Old 05-04-2011, 04:44 PM   #5
Acoma
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Where in AZ can you get grolsch bottles?

Old 05-04-2011, 04:46 PM   #6
AZbrewer1
Recipes 

well i can get them at Western Drug in their liquor and beer section...but that is the only place i have found short of going to Flag or Pheonix not sure how many western drug stores there are in the state...or even if they are a chain

Old 05-04-2011, 06:26 PM   #7
gclay
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

My wife just went to the beer store and asked if they had any empties in back, i guess they hang on tot hem until they have a butt load. She got them for 10 cents each, just pay back the deposit.

You bring 1 purple crayon to class and they stick you on the short bus!! - Theresa Stanton

Old 05-04-2011, 06:49 PM   #8
RugerRedhawk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZbrewer1 View Post
well i can get them at Western Drug in their liquor and beer section...but that is the only place i have found short of going to Flag or Pheonix not sure how many western drug stores there are in the state...or even if they are a chain
How much does grolsch run? Just wondering how it compares to buying the empty ones.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:51 PM   #9
Krrazy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoma View Post
Where in AZ can you get grolsch bottles?
Basha's sold individual bottles but that was a pain to accumulate them! I found that Total Wine sells them by the case, so I picked up one of those to help me along. I have a case of brown 16oz EZ cap bottles that I bought as well and in my opinion they are unreliable compared to the Grolsch bottles. Some of them were fine, but probably half of them didn't seal completely and allowed CO2 to leak.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:58 PM   #10
Sardoman
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZbrewer1 View Post
...now i have to rack out of my primary , clean it and sanitize and rack back in cause i don't have a secondary and didn't plan to use one.
Why can't you just leave it in primary until you are ready to bottle?

Sorry you got hurt over this. I'm glad to hear they are making things right.

Quick Reply