Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Flavoring an ALE

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2010, 04:15 PM   #1
b33risGOOD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Flavoring an ALE

Hello All

New to brewing, and i started off by purchasing two beer kits. Well on kit was made and bottled, the other is still sitting in the primary with some time to go.

My question is, I have just realized that this beer kit produced a very bitter english style ALE, I am not accustomed to this and was hoping to take the edge off by adding some flavor to the beer that is still in the primary.

Questions

What flavor would match well with an bitter ale?

How would I go about adding the flavor? transfer to secondary and add fruit and let sit?

As always your help is much appreciated, im open to suggestions!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2010, 04:18 PM   #2
elkdog
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Add some time. Let that beer sit in primary for 3 weeks, then in bottles for 3 weeks. The bitterness will get a lot smoother, and will balance out with the malt flavors. If it still tastes rough, give it more time- use this as a chance to see how conditioning affects a beer. Hop flavors, especially the bitterness, need a little time to meld with the other flavors in the beer, so your english ale ought to taste harsh right now, but should be much better 6 weeks after brewday. In the mean time, you've got that other batch to enjoy...

Old 04-04-2010, 04:30 PM   #3
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 128

I have to agree with time being a key ingredient with mellowing a beer, I made a low grav rye beer with too much magnum hops (both thanks to a broken scale), it was too harsh up to the 8 week mark then it sort of smoothed out and became quite enjoyable. give your bitter a try after it carbs up and see if you enjoy it, you may be surprised at the balance, if it is too bitter, park it in the closet for a month and try again, another month, ect. meantime get brewing something more to your liking, and build up a stockpile.

Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing

Old 04-05-2010, 12:44 AM   #4
b33risGOOD
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Great advice, but id still like some suggestions as to what fruit is typically added to aleas and how to go about doing so

thaaaaaaaanks cheers

Old 04-05-2010, 12:48 AM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4451 Times on 3240 Posts
Likes Given: 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by b33risGOOD View Post
Great advice, but id still like some suggestions as to what fruit is typically added to aleas and how to go about doing so

thaaaaaaaanks cheers
I don't like fruit beers, so I'm not one to give good advice. However, I've seen that some people have good results with fruit beers when used with wheat. A blueberry wheat, for example. I once did a watermelon wheat for a friend that came out nice.

The thing is, I don't think dumping fruit into a beer is going to give you what you're looking for. Generally, if you're making a fruit beer you decide that before beginning so that the fruit is a part of the recipe. Fruit doesn't go well with many hops.

I can't thing of a fruit that goes well with an English bitter (if that's the style you made- your post wasn't clear as to the beer style).

Old 04-05-2010, 01:01 AM   #6
b33risGOOD
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

that is a good point and the kind of feedback I was looking for. I made cooopers real ale, kit.

Old 04-05-2010, 01:49 PM   #7
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

That kit has an IBU of 29, which is out of the range for most fruit beers. It should finish with a fruity aroma from the yeast. Give it 6 weeks before bottling or trying anything else. If you decide it needs something to balance the bitterness, blackberry is probably your best option.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 04-05-2010, 04:58 PM   #8
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I can not speak of brewing beer with fruit sounds like wine to me. My dad makes apple and mulberry wine and they taste very little like the original fruit. The reason I am mentioning this is I think you are "asking for trouble" by ading in fruit to the beer during fermentation and it will do very odd things. (BTW store bought fruit may have pesticides and fungicides on it/in it and cause yeast death? Apples and pears being the most saturated.)

I have also read recipes that call for orange peel or lemon zest but that part of the fruit is ultra bitter! Or other biter fruits like cranberries but these are always added in at the start of the boil.

Shifting gears, I have seen lots of people add fruit into glasses/bottles of brewery beer. Like: Blue Moon with an orange slice, Corona with a lemon or lime wedge, Leinenkugels Honey Weiss with a lemon slice. (I am convinced that is to mask the horrible flavor/taste of those drinks.)

I also have seen flavor extracts for HB beer (fruit flavors) at a local HB/nutrition shop for around $5.00, If you want I can give you the contact info for them.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:19 PM   #9
FreeM80s
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

you could add some lactose to it. I wouldn't, but you could. lactose is unfermentable so it would make the beer sweeter.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:39 PM   #10
SnallygasterBrewery
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

If you're looking for a fruity taste to your beer, try reading up on the different varieties of yeast strains as well as fermentation temperatures and how it increases the likeliness of fruity esters developing. Also, I wouldn't hesitate to just try new things with some fruit in the secondary (but go easy on it -- you don't want to over do it and end up with something that's just ungodly fruity). Do your research, come up with something, and try it out. There's not much you can do other than experiment.

Quick Reply