Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Flavor gone from IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2013, 01:11 PM   #1
khkman22
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Flavor gone from IPA

I made the extract Falconer's Flight IPA from AHS and just before bottling it had a strong grapefruit flavor, stronger than I would have liked. Even though it was strong, the description said it was citrusy and that grapefruit was one of the flavors so I was happy I made it to taste like it was supposed to, or so I thought.

Last night was two weeks since bottling and most all of the citrus flavor was gone and not really any recognizable grapefruit flavor. Will the flavor start to come back once the bitterness starts to fade or will now be the most flavor it will have?

Does carbonation affect the flavor at all? After a week and a half of fermenting it wasn't quite finished and it had a little bite of carbonation and I didn't notice a strong grapefruit presence. Then a week later when it was finished fermenting and flat, it had the noticeable grapefruit flavor.

It's still a drinkable beer, but just wondering what to expect from here.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 01:21 PM   #2
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 281 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 18

How many oz. of hops were in the beer, and at what locations did you place them? The dryhop, or lackthereof, can particularly affect the aroma/flavor in an A-IPA.

Carbonation should make the beer taste better, not worse. The short time it takes to carbonate shouldn't affect the fresh hop bite, aroma, and flavor of an IPA.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:22 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 1637 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Yes carbonation affects flavor. And what usually happens is that if folks taste their IPA's too early, and through the process, the flavors appear to vanish just before carbonation/conditioning is complete, but once the beer is ready to drink, the flavors/aromas come back even better than before. What's happening is that some of the other flavors from the malts are developing now, so the hops appear to take a backseat, but once everything comes into play, everything balances out and you end up with the beer you want.

Relax, check it in another couple of weeks and you'll be happy, I'm sure.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-11-2013, 01:48 PM   #4
khkman22
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thanks for the replies. The instructions said let it age 5 weeks for best results, but I was just mainly checking to make sure it was carbing up like it was supposed to. I have no problems waiting another few weeks.

Just for reference since you asked, I added 2 oz at 60 min, 1 oz at 20 min and 1/2 oz at 15 min and then dry hopped with 1 1/2 oz for about 8 days.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:50 PM   #5
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 638 Times on 474 Posts
Likes Given: 249

it's strange that your fruitiness faded that fast. mine typically lasts a few weeks after the batch has carbonated (i.e. for you that should be right now).

did you use oxygen-absorbing caps? i've read claims that they can absorb hop aroma as well.

carbonation affects the perception of flavor. as the CO2 bubbles rise out of the beer they carry hop aromas up with them, along with other aromas. high carbonation also causes a "bite" on the tongue, makes been taste sharper and a little more bitter IMO.

at the end of fermentation the beer does contain carbonation - typically about .07-0.8 volumes of CO2. if you could smell the grapefruit more while the beer was still fermenting, that's likely because it was venting CO2 and carrying volatile hop aromas with it (just like the carbonation of the beer in your glass carries hop aroma). once fermentation was over, there was no blow-off, so nothing was bringing the smells to your nose.

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Fermenting: sour cherry mead, imperial chocolate stout and its not-so-small beer second runnings, our bruin & a few other sours
Aging: a bunch of belgian and soured stuff, and acerglyn.
Up next: harvest ale with homegrown hops

Old 01-11-2013, 01:58 PM   #6
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 638 Times on 474 Posts
Likes Given: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by khkman22 View Post
Thanks for the replies. The instructions said let it age 5 weeks for best results, but I was just mainly checking to make sure it was carbing up like it was supposed to. I have no problems waiting another few weeks.

Just for reference since you asked, I added 2 oz at 60 min, 1 oz at 20 min and 1/2 oz at 15 min and then dry hopped with 1 1/2 oz for about 8 days.
i would keep tasting the beer regularly, as hop flavor can fade. i prefer my IPAs fresh - they're best as soon as they're done carbonating. maybe it's my recipes or my process, but 5 weeks after bottling my IPAs have peaked and are about to start their descent.

nice recipe. i find it interesting that they have no flameout hops and nothing later than 15 mins. 1.5 oz dry-hop is fine but again not extreme. overall that hopping schedule is a tad on the light side. i wouldn't expect this beer to be extremely hoppy.

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Fermenting: sour cherry mead, imperial chocolate stout and its not-so-small beer second runnings, our bruin & a few other sours
Aging: a bunch of belgian and soured stuff, and acerglyn.
Up next: harvest ale with homegrown hops

Old 01-11-2013, 01:59 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 1637 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by khkman22 View Post
The instructions said let it age 5 weeks for best results,...
SEE! If it says something like that, and you KNOW you tried it too soon, then why stress out about it? There's a REASON we say these things. It's NOT to yank new brewer's chains by depriving them of their beer. It's Because carbing and conditioning beer is not like making koolaid. It takes time. I don't understand the propensity to disregard what an instruction or information has to say, THEN get worried if the result is less than expected.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-11-2013, 02:02 PM   #8
Yourrealdad
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Not to hijack a thread( well I guess that is the point) but I made Yoopers 60min clone and I am having the same issue, except I feel like it has lost all of its flavor and aroma. It was malty and slightly hopped in the beginning and now nothing. Is my capper bad? Am I a bad capper?

Old 01-11-2013, 02:03 PM   #9
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 727 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I've noticed that my IPAs change pretty dramatically over the course of 8 weeks, regardless of the recipe/hop variety, and always for the better. Let 'em sit. You'll be happy with the results later.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:17 PM   #10
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 281 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 18

"2 oz at 60 min
1 oz at 20 min
1/2 oz at 15 min
1-1/2 oz dryhop"

... For more hop aroma & flavor, I would have done: