The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Flavor change after bottled?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2007, 04:02 AM   #1
BrownAle4Me
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Flavor change after bottled?

Hey all!

Just bottled my first beer ever tonight! It tasted alright! It's SG was 1.041 and it's FG was 1.010. Does that sound right? It's a brown ale (Fat Tire clone).

Anyways, the question I have is, does the flavor change after it's been bottled? When I tasted it tonight, it had a bit of a bite in the back of the tongue. It wasn't supposed to be too bitter of a beer. I'm curious if it smooths out over time or if the flavor still changes. I know everyone says that it gets better with time (weeks and up to months). What all changes during that period of time?

Thanks for all your help!

Next Up: Smooth Nut Brown Ale

Last edited by BrownAle4Me; 07-21-2007 at 04:05 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2007, 02:21 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

What flavors change? Just about everything, the yeast will be active until you chill it, bittering agents mellow. Anything described as a "bite" will tend to go away. Hot doesn't, astringent doesn't. I recommend writing down your impressions now, then sample a bottle a week and document the changes.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 07-21-2007, 02:28 PM   #3
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
What flavors change? Just about everything, the yeast will be active until you chill it, bittering agents mellow. Anything described as a "bite" will tend to go away. Hot doesn't, astringent doesn't. I recommend writing down your impressions now, then sample a bottle a week and document the changes.
x2. I think it's really cool seeing how my beers change over time. Even when you keg and force carb, it still goes through similar changes. My first several batches were mostly gone before the beers tasted their best. You've gotta brew more so that you're not too temped to drink it while it's still green.

Old 07-21-2007, 02:32 PM   #4
jpuf
Recipes 

Amen, patience is everything. Keep brewing and you won't be tempted to drink it green.

Old 07-21-2007, 02:42 PM   #5
RichBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 66

As a new brewer, I think it's a good idea to try your beers so you can see how they change throughout the life of the batch. Once you have brewed for awhile and you have more home brew on hand you won't be as tempted to try one until you are sure they are ready.
Don't judge the bitterness of a beer until it has conditioned. The hop profile almost always mellows as the beer ages. I suggest you try a bottle at 1,2 and 3 weeks and see how it changes. It should go from flat with rough bitterness to carbonated and smoother. The beer will get even better after a month or more.
As some have already stated, I've had some beers that when I drank the last bottle I was wishing I had 4 cases of it left because it really improved.

Cheers,
Rich

Old 07-21-2007, 05:52 PM   #6
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

Liked 201 Times on 112 Posts

what those guys said

don't forget carbonation, either. nothing like a beer with a good head on it. if you used corn sugar, you'll taste it for about two weeks before it completely ferments out

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 07-23-2007, 02:55 AM   #7
BrownAle4Me
Recipes 

Is there any way to see if the beer is carbonating in the bottle with out cracking one open?

I'm just afraid all the yeast might have died off 'cause I let it sit in the secondary for an extra week (total of 3 weeks in secondary). Could that harm it in any way?

Next Up: Smooth Nut Brown Ale

Old 07-23-2007, 03:19 AM   #8
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

Liked 201 Times on 112 Posts

you pretty much have to crack one open, so be patient and don't do more than one a week until they're finished. it'll be worth it, trust me

nope about teh secondary...you're fine, it didn't hurt anything.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 07-23-2007, 04:54 PM   #9
Geordiepete

Recipes 

And remember some beers may take longer then two weeks to fully carbonate so don't worry if you get to the 2 week point and its still a bit flat.

But like Deathbrewer says, a bit of fizzy can really improve your beer however it ends up tasting!!

Quick Reply