Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Is flat beer bad?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2008, 01:53 AM   #1
eljefe
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Default Is flat beer bad?

I have noticed that the carbonation level varies in some of my bottles. I occasionally get a bottle that is very flat, and I have noticed they seem to occur with my Grolsch bottle (I will change the washer).

I opened a bottle tonight and it was very flat. There were no floaters (i.e. mold) in the beer, so I of course drank it. I'm now wondering if drinking it was a smart idea. My thought is if the carbonation can get out, then air can get in. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Am I in for a rough night?

Thanks

Primary 1: Wee Heavy
Primary 2:
Secondary 1:
Secondary 2:
Keg 1: Northern Brew #1
Keg 2: 11.11.11
Next Up: Bourbonator

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2008, 02:03 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

How long did you let them bottle condition before opening them? Did you batch prime (i.e. sugar water in bottling bucket) or did you add sugar to each bottle?

If it's been under 3 weeks, stored at 70 degrees, then inconsistant carbing from bottle to bottle is common.. depending on style, and bottle size, maybe even longer...If it's been let's say 6 weeks or so, then perhaps you have some bad seals on your bottles. It may be worth replacing the seals...

One trick to see if your seals are good is to put balloons over the stoppered bottles (it may be hard with grolsh, so maybe condoms would work better.

With the already opened them, mix up some vinegar baking soda solution (only fill the bottles a couple/three inches.) then put the baloon over them and let the sit for awhile, if they inflate slightly then you have bad seals..you can get replacement gaskets and any lhbs or online.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-11-2008, 02:15 AM   #3
eljefe

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
One trick to see if your seals are good is to put balloons over the stoppered bottles (it may be hard with grolsh, so maybe condoms would work better.
I am always amazed by the genius of homebrewers. That is a great idea. Thanks.

The one I drank tonight has been conditioning for 5 - 6 weeks. I also added the priming sugar mixture to the bottling bucket as opposed to each bottle. Tonight, I had one that I capped and one in the Grolsch bottle and there was a remarkable difference in the carbonation level between the two. The capped one had a nice head and clear carbonation. The Grolsch one tasted fine, and there was a slight carbonation bite but there was zero head and no bubbles.

This may be a dumb question, but I usually add the priming sugar to the bottling bucket then fill it with the wort. Should I stir it before botlling?

Thanks

Primary 1: Wee Heavy
Primary 2:
Secondary 1:
Secondary 2:
Keg 1: Northern Brew #1
Keg 2: 11.11.11
Next Up: Bourbonator

Last edited by eljefe; 08-11-2008 at 02:19 AM.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:59 AM   #4
enderwig

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljefe View Post
Should I stir it before botlling?
My vote is no stirring is the cause of your inconsistent carbonation.

Old 08-11-2008, 03:04 AM   #5
Nurmey
I love making Beer

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

You want to stir gently without splashing.

Old 08-11-2008, 03:07 AM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

What I do is pour half the priming solution in the bottom of the bucket, I also curve my hose partially around the bottom of the bucket (I wedge it in where my dip tube bends downward) that way asl the beer flows it starts swirling as it rises, when I get half way up the bucket I pour in the rest of the solution....It seems to work for me.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-11-2008, 03:11 AM   #7
Hagen

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Also, add that priming sugar to a small (1 or 2 cups) water and boil before adding it to the bucket. It will sterilize the sugar solution, and give you a better shot at an even mixture once you rack the wort onto it.

Too much too fast to keep track of...

Quick Reply