Flat beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geim32

Reaction score
I made a Lagunitas IPA clone using DME as a primer. I followed beersmith for the amounts but its going on 8 weeks and still no carb. What I was wondering is can I empty the bottles into a corny and force carbonate and is there anything I should worry about. The beer tastes great but flat. Thanks in advance.

Potential issues:

Conditioning temp outside fermentation range
Yeast have been killed
Bottle caps letting CO2 out
DME is not DME but something unfermentable like maltodextrin

You can definitely empty into a keg and force carb, but it will take a long time and as you note it's not going to be really easy to avoid significant oxygenation.

If your siphon has a clip to act as a valve, you could siphon each beer into a keg. Sounds like a PITA and I'm not sure of it would work. Just a suggestion.

Purge your keg with CO2, then pour the beer from inside as slowly as you can down the walls of the keg.

The CO2 layer in the keg should help keep your beer from contacting too much if any oxygen.

I made a Lagunitas IPA clone using DME as a primer. I followed beersmith for the amounts but its going on 8 weeks and still no carb. What I was wondering is can I empty the bottles into a corny and force carbonate and is there anything I should worry about. The beer tastes great but flat. Thanks in advance.

You could purchase a beer gun. :)

Rick

It was a 5 gallon batch I used 1 1/4 cup of light DME and fermented around 70 degs. I never ha this problem before.

@ gelatin why would it take longer to force carb the beer after racking into a keg never takes me long then 36 hours?

geim32, I meant the process of getting all the bottles into the keg would take a lot of time, not the carbonation.

Back