FLAT beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbulluck

Reaction score
I am very new to this.....my second batch/kit was an irish stout. My first kit was AWESOME!
:)
The second batch I am nervous, it was been bottled for a week. I was antsy and wanted to sample it. I got a slight hiss when I popped the top, but the bottle was totally flat. Am I just being premature? Too soon?
:confused:
I transferred the brew into the secondary and let it sit for a week (was told to do a second stage container at the beer shop). Was that the error?

help/ input please

Thanks

Travis

give it a couple more weeks at least to get properly carbed, then give it a taste. If you wait a few more weeks after that, it will taste even better. Especially for a stout. Time = good beer.

Three plus weeks at around 70F is a standard, but that doesn't mean it won't take longer. It all depends on the style, conditions and priming procedure.

I am very new to this.....my second batch/kit was an irish stout. My first kit was AWESOME!
:)
The second batch I am nervous, it was been bottled for a week. I was antsy and wanted to sample it. I got a slight hiss when I popped the top, but the bottle was totally flat. Am I just being premature? Too soon?
:confused:
I transferred the brew into the secondary and let it sit for a week (was told to do a second stage container at the beer shop). Was that the error?

help/ input please

Thanks

Travis

As others have said you need to wait longer. Typical bottle condition is at least a couple weeks at room temp (65 - 70) minimum.

From what I've read from Revvey, Stouts and Porters seem to take a bit longer.

yup, give it time.

from my experienc, they help here on the forum has been right on. 3 weeks is about avg, some beers have been good in 1.5 to 2 weeks, and others have taken 2 months or more.

It has been the dark beers that have taken longer

Temperature affects the speed of bottle conditioning also. In the summer when its 80+ degrees where your beer is carbing it works faster than in the winter when you might be storing the beer at 60 degrees.

Latest posts

Back