Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Flaked Rye

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2011, 06:15 AM   #1
C17-EHSE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Flaked Rye

After searching around a bit, I could not find a definitive answer. I want to do an extract brew using some flaked rye. It's part of a pale ale I want to brew.

Will steeping be enough? Some say it is, other things I've read say different.

So what is the consensus here among the real experts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2011, 06:48 AM   #2
trigger
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yes, you will get some rye flavor from it. Go for it. What are the other steeping grains? How much rye are we talking?

The power to tax, once conceded, has no limits; it contains until it destroys. I was not joking when I told them to dig into their own pouches. It may not be possible to do away with government — sometimes I think that government is an inescapable disease of human beings. But it may be possible to keep it small and starved and inoffensive — and can you think of a better way than by requiring the governors themselves to pay the costs of their antisocial hobby?

R. A. Heinlein

Old 06-19-2011, 12:09 PM   #3
BigEd
Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Starchy adjuncts which include flaked grains really should be mashed not just steeped. While you may get a small amount of flavor from steeping flaked rye you will not get nearly as much as compared to mashing. You will also get stuff you do not want such as starches, gums, proteins, etc which would be converted or broken down by the mashing process. Doing a mini mash is not that much more complicated than simply steeping and will get you far better results with this type of ingredient. Your choice.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:08 PM   #4
C17-EHSE
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger View Post
Yes, you will get some rye flavor from it. Go for it. What are the other steeping grains? How much rye are we talking?
Thanks

1 pound of flaked rye and one pound of Crystal with 7 lbs of Pale LME. Should be enough fermentables with out the Rye' I'm looking more for flavor from it.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:10 PM   #5
C17-EHSE
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEd View Post
Starchy adjuncts which include flaked grains really should be mashed not just steeped. While you may get a small amount of flavor from steeping flaked rye you will not get nearly as much as compared to mashing. You will also get stuff you do not want such as starches, gums, proteins, etc which would be converted or broken down by the mashing process. Doing a mini mash is not that much more complicated than simply steeping and will get you far better results with this type of ingredient. Your choice.
Thanks. I'm gonna give the mini mash a try. Researched it and I think I can do that. It's only my second brew. Should I uses a clarifier like Irish Moss?

Quick Reply