New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > fist 5 gal. batch, new questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 03:49 PM   #1
ndtyank49
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default fist 5 gal. batch, new questions

Me and a buddy of mine made German Altbier, i must say the smell was amazing. I think it came out great but as a newbie i got some more questions for you guys.

1-After putting the hops in, some water evaporated an the water level went down, leaving the hops stuck on the side above the water level. I took a sanitized spoon, and got the hops off the side and back into the wort. Was i right to do that?

2-After siphoning the wort out of the pot into the fermenter you have to add water up to the 5 gallon mark. I poured the water in but that caused a lot of bubbles and added O2, is that ok? What should i do next time?

3-Does it matter how long it takes for the wort to cool? I do not have a wort chiller so i put the pot in my bathtub filled with ice water.

4-Are Heineken bottles ok to use to bottle, i'm going to try to get darker ones though.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 03:56 PM   #2
hungry4hops
Hop to it!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 179

1-yup
2-make as much bubbles as possible o2 is good!
3-a little youll be fine!
4-yes but keep them away from sunlight
your right on track let us know how it turns out!

Old 11-10-2012, 03:56 PM   #3
unionrdr
Gotta home brew jones
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1662 Times on 1467 Posts
Likes Given: 1138

1) Yeah,that's just fine. I do that.
2) You want good aeration at that point to give the yeast a good environment to propogate before visible fermentation begins.
3) Chilling the wort in 20 minutes or less gives little or no chill haze at fridge time.
4) Brown bottles are best,but the green ones would be ok if you box them &/or store in a dark place. Sunlight skunks the beer.

Old 11-10-2012, 03:56 PM   #4
LyonsViper27
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

1. thats what I do

2. o2 is a very good thing, most homebrewers do something to add air to the wort prior to pitching yeast, I inject pure o2

3. The faster you can cool the wort the better, I started out doing what you do with the ice bath.

4. heinekien bottles are fine as long as they are pry offs, keep them in a dark place because light with skunk your beer.

You seem to have everything inline to make so good beers, one thing i would suggest in a way to keep your fermation temps in check
GOOD LUCK

Fermenting: Traditional Mead, IIPA

Kegged: House Pale Ale, Dry Irish Stout, SWMBO Spiced ale, Phat Tyre clone, Apfelwein

Bottled: First batch Pilsner, RIS, Blackberry wine, Welsh wine, Rasberry Riesling, Lemon wine

Quick Reply