Last days to enter the BrewHardware Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fisher Scientific Home Brewing Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2009, 10:25 PM   #1
BTC
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fisher Scientific Home Brewing Supplies

Ok so I have always wanted to get into home brewing.

Right now I work in a research lab that gets a huge discount from Fisher Scientific. I was wondering if anyone here has attempted to build a home brewing starter kit from scratch on their own. Ideally, someone here has ordered from Fisher and has the items numbers handy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2009, 10:55 PM   #2
culaslucas
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

What kind of supplies are you looking at? Like their huge carboys/labware/thermometers? I know that Evan! was looking for one of their thermometers - not sure if he got his hands on it though...

Old 03-12-2009, 11:25 PM   #3
Figbash
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Fisher supplies little that would be useful in home brewing and what they do supply would be much more expensive than what you would pay at a home brew supply or at your local hardware.

About all you need to start is a stainless stock pot for the boil, a 6 gallon plastic bucket and lid for the fermentor a 5 gallon bucket for bottling and a few miscellaneous items such as tubing to siphon, a bottle capper, a fermentation trap, a strainer and maybe a thermometer. Many of these things (5 gal bucket, tubing, stock pot, etc.) can be had locally. Brewing can be as basic or as complicated as you make it.

Tom

Old 03-12-2009, 11:33 PM   #4
fratermus
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

If you get into yeast culturing you could buy your lab glassware, stirplaters, stirbars, etc.

I just picked up a used Fisher stirplate for $16 shipped off eBay. Woo-hoo!

Old 03-13-2009, 04:52 PM   #5
irunxcjm
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I agree with what everyone is saying. Fisher is great for labware, but for homebrewing, there isn't much you can't get elsewhere.

Quick Reply