Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First yeast wash attempt

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012, 02:36 AM   #21
Slow_Day
Sophomore Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Brulosopher,

Thanks for the step by step on your method. I agree that this makes more sense than washing yeast as long as you are making a starter anyway. EdWort posted that he harvests from his starters as well, but didn't document his method as well.

I am a beginner and have not yet even created a starter, (only pitching dry yeast), but I have been researching this and will most likely use something very close to your method of harvesting yeast when I start using liquid yeasts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 03:47 AM   #22
Brew-Jay
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Brulosopher,

I'm going to harvest yeast from a starter I'm making this week using your method. Can you explain the benefit of the 250ml mason jar with 1/2 water? Why is that preferable to just saving the 500ml jar that you originally harvested the yeast into?

Thanks! (my 100th post by the way! Woot! woot!)

“In Vino Veritas, In Cervesio Felicitas” — Anonymous

Old 11-26-2012, 03:55 AM   #23
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Liked 199 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew-Jay
Brulosopher,

I'm going to harvest yeast from a starter I'm making this week using your method. Can you explain the benefit of the 250ml mason jar with 1/2 water? Why is that preferable to just saving the 500ml jar that you originally harvested the yeast into?

Thanks! (my 100th post by the way! Woot! woot!)
For longer term storage (4+ weeks), deoxygenated water is simply a more hospitable environment. You could easily get away with skipping this part of the process... I'm just a tad neurotic, and it's so easy

Quick Reply