Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First yeast starter with stir plate- done?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2010, 02:45 PM   #1
Tall_Yotie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default First yeast starter with stir plate- done?

Howdy all. I made a 4L starter with a stir plate for my 1.110 OG brew. My normal starters I let go 18-24 hours. 12 hours later (this morning) I took a look, there is a nice layer on the bottom and a LOT of krausen (or however it is spelled, foam stuff). Never had that before with my "sit on the shelf and forget about it" starters.

Should I let it keep going, or should I stop it and throw it into the fridge now? Not certain if I should read the foam as a sign that it is done. Bubbles are still rising up from the yeast, but not more foam. I am going to be using this starter in a couple days.

I would post a pic, but I am not allowed yet, alas.

Thanks for any input!

4L starter, 100g DME / L, 1 vial WLP530 liquid yeast, 1tsp yeast nutrient

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2010, 02:55 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Heck if it is at high krausen, I would not chill it, nor decant it, I would swirl it all at brewing time and pitch it all. It is great to be able to pitch a starter at high krausen if you can. That usually means it's cooking already, I wouldn't do anything to lag it, especially making it go dormant to cold crash it.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-04-2010, 03:03 PM   #3
marsbike
Recipes 

Agreed with the master. I've been able to "time" my last two brews with my stir plate so that I was finished brewing at High Karausen. I've been seeing "active" (read, my airlock is bubbling) within 3 hours or so.

Old 10-04-2010, 03:07 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsbike View Post
Agreed with the master. I've been able to "time" my last two brews with my stir plate so that I was finished brewing at High Karausen. I've been seeing "active" (read, my airlock is bubbling) within 3 hours or so.
I lucked out and got to do it for my barleywine even. It was awsome. It was already churning within 2-3 hours of yeast pitch.

Imho, cold crashing and even decanting starters are fine for starters that have run their course, but if you are lucky enough to catch one at high krausen, don't waste the opportunity to capitalize on it.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-04-2010, 03:15 PM   #5
Tall_Yotie
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

If I was at a point to pitch it I would. However, my brew day is still a couple days away. The yeast starter is at the 12hr mark this morning, I might get to brewing this evening, which means (as I don't have a wort chiller hook-up) I will be pitching the yeast the day after that at the correct temp.

So, should I let it go for a few more hours and it won't hurt, or as it is at high krausen I should toss it in the fridge? I know ideally I would pitch it now (thanks Revvy!) but as that is not an option, I need to figure out if it should get put in the fridge now or let it keep going for another 4 hours.

Or is there something I am not getting that you are trying to tell me?

Thanks!

Old 10-04-2010, 09:09 PM   #6
stjackson
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Here's a question: I've been eyeing up a 1.090 OG holiday ale I want to try, so I figured I would probably have to make a big (like, 1 gallon) starter for it. For a starter with that much liquid, I would want to decant, right? Pitching that much starter liquid would change your OG, wouldn't it?

Old 10-04-2010, 09:31 PM   #7
Tall_Yotie
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

A bit odd answering a question in my thread, but here I go :P

It would indeed decrease your OG, as you are watering it down a bit. Assuming a 5g 1.090 beer with a 1g 1.040 starter, your OG after pitching would be 1.082.

That being said, if you don't decant, you could always have a lower initial wort volume so when you pitch the starter you are just a bit above your expected final volume. I would say to decant if you are going to have the time to let it all settle, but that is just my opinion.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:22 PM   #8
ajf

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

A 4 liter starter with only 100g DME?
That's a very low gravity starter (or a typo). I'd try to add the missing extra 300g DME boiled in as little water as possible to give those poor little yeasties something to munch on.
I wouldn't mind adding a 4 liter starter to a 15 - 20 gallon brew, but if it's 5 or 10 gallons, I would chill and decant the starter, and just add the slurry.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:33 PM   #9
Tall_Yotie
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf View Post
A 4 liter starter with only 100g DME?
That's a very low gravity starter (or a typo). / snip
-a.
I wrote 100g DME / L, that is 100 grams DME per Liter, or 400g DME total.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:30 PM   #10
ajf

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I should learn to read more carefully.

Sorry,

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Quick Reply