Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First two batches of kegged beer taste like crap. Problem?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2011, 08:15 PM   #21
Dunerunner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Everything looks good!! You have the sanitation practices down. the only things left are the keg issues and other members have addressed them quite well.

Good luck, and don't stop kegging!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2011, 11:15 PM   #22
kyle6286
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I filled a bottle with one of my beers and brought it to my LHBS. He described it as phenolic. He also said it has somewhat of a metallic taste. He went over pretty much everything we talked about on this thread and gave me some new o-rings to replace on my keg. He said to take it apart and try using these. I've never taken apart a corny keg before so I hope it's not too much trouble. I'm thinking about dumping the batch that's been in the keg for a month since there's probably only half left. I'll change out the o-rings, sanitize everything, and try the water test by leaving some water in the keg overnight. If the taste is still there, I'm going to be pissed.

Old 09-24-2011, 11:29 PM   #23
Sacdan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I had a nasty taste in two of my kegs. It turned out to be the beer line. It was brand new, but had something nasty in it. I replaced those two lines and fixed that. Do you have a picnic tap that you can taste the beer from?

Old 09-25-2011, 12:05 AM   #24
kyle6286
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacdan View Post
I had a nasty taste in two of my kegs. It turned out to be the beer line. It was brand new, but had something nasty in it. I replaced those two lines and fixed that. Do you have a picnic tap that you can taste the beer from?
No, I don't have one.

I just emptied the first batch of the two kegs. Luckily, it was less than a quarter full so I didn't waste too much. Now, I'm trying to disassemble the corny but it's kind of hard to do without a socket wrench. I want to try filling the keg with water and taste it in a day to see if I can narrow the problem down.

Old 09-25-2011, 03:49 AM   #25
dogbar
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Definitely try breaking down the kegs, but I'm assuming your tower and taps are new while your kegs are reconditioned? If it's a metallic taste, that's exactly what I got when I switched my old one tap tower with a new two-tapper with perlicks.

To fix that, use the wrench that comes with everything (should look like one of these: http://www.beveragetime.com/product-categories/tools/) to disassemble the taps and then soak them in some PBW overnight: http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewin...wery-wash.html

That was the only thing that got rid of the taste for me. Just running cleaning products through the lines wasn't good enough.

Any chance you got your setup from kegcowboy?

Old 09-25-2011, 05:06 AM   #26
kyle6286
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbar
Definitely try breaking down the kegs, but I'm assuming your tower and taps are new while your kegs are reconditioned? If it's a metallic taste, that's exactly what I got when I switched my old one tap tower with a new two-tapper with perlicks.

To fix that, use the wrench that comes with everything (should look like one of these: http://www.beveragetime.com/product-categories/tools/) to disassemble the taps and then soak them in some PBW overnight: http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewin...wery-wash.html

That was the only thing that got rid of the taste for me. Just running cleaning products through the lines wasn't good enough.

Any chance you got your setup from kegcowboy?
Thanks for the advice. Yes, my tower and kegerator are brand new. I got them from my lhbs. My kegs are used but I cleaned them with oxiclean free and then star san. san. I got my regulator on keg cowboy. I'm going to try this when I get a wrench to fit.

Quick Reply