Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First two batches of kegged beer taste like crap. Problem?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2011, 06:08 AM   #11
squirrelly
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

It sounds like you are spot on with your sanitation. Good work!

I would change out all the O rings in the keg. It's a pretty easy task that only takes a few minutes.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2011, 06:12 AM   #12
kyle6286
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunerunner View Post
What was your last beer run through the keggerator? What was the last beer in your keg? Did you pressurize the corney and flush out the dip tube? How long has your beer been in the keg? How long did you ferment and when did activity stop at the airlock? What beer did you brew?

Just trying to get up to speed so I can help you figure it all out. And 6 minutes late!!! Ya beat me to it squirrelly!!
These two batches are my first batches in the kegerator. One was an American Wheat and the other is BM's centennial blonde, which I was really excited for. Brand new beer lines, sanitized equipment, etc.

Yes, I pressurized both cornys and let star san run through my lines and faucets for about 20 seconds each.

I replaced my first beer lines, which were about 5", with 10" lines to reduce foam. I made sure to sanitize everything again. With my kegerator temps at about 40, I carbonate at about 12 psi.

My first kegged beer has been in there for about a month and a half. Although the flavor seems more subtle now, it is still present. Not sure if the carbonation is helping mask the off flavor. My newest batch, BM's centennial, has only been in the keg for two weeks. And again, it has the off flavor of the other beer, but it's more noticeable. Now that I think about it, this flavor isn't present when racking to the keg. Actually, I don't think it was there for either of them, which makes me think even more it has something to do with the corny keg, dip tube, or beer lines. Even though I sanitized everything, I didn't take apart everything and put it back together because I didn't know how.

I ferment all of my beers for a minimum of three weeks, check gravity a couple times, and then rack after about four weeks of fermentation. Airlock activity, if I recall correctly, probably stopped after 4 days or so.

One last thing, since I'm new to kegging, I'm not sure what the correct method is but I keep my beer lines connected to the keg at all times. So, I might have a beer one night, and then not have one for another week or so in this case. This means the same beer is in the line untouched the whole time. Tonight, I made sure to dump out a few ounces to account for any beer left in the lines for a while and that didn't fix it.

I appreciate everyone's help. If I can't figure out what my problem is, I might just try to sell all my kegging equipment and break even on what I bought. I'd rather just make beer that tastes great like my first two batches without having to worry about negative flavors during carbonation.

Old 09-24-2011, 06:34 AM   #13
djfriesen
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If you haven't changed the o-rings, seems that would be the logical next step. Always worth trying. Seems like everything else keg-related has been addressed?

Old 09-24-2011, 06:39 AM   #14
dogbar
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If you have a spare keg, put water in it and hook it up to your system. Let it sit overnight.

If you can taste the issue when you pour some water off the next day, it's something about your kegerator.

In my case, I had to soak a couple new faucets for a while in some PBW to get a metallic taste out of them.

Old 09-24-2011, 07:46 AM   #15
skinny
Recipes 

I had a similar problem and it ended up being a small chunk stuck in the black plastic tip of my auto-siphon. Everyting tasted great going into the keg, then about 3 days later the off flavors started.

Old 09-24-2011, 03:19 PM   #16
cyclist
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

A couple of other things to try if you haven't already.

Disassemble the keg and look at the beer out poppet. I have been amazed at some of the gunk that has been trapped by the beer out poppet.

While you have it all apart, take a dip tube brush, wet it, coat the end of the brush with Bar Keeper's Friend (or similar) and clean the dip tube. Just be sure to rinse extra well.

Old 09-24-2011, 05:18 PM   #17
kyle6286
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclist
A couple of other things to try if you haven't already.

Disassemble the keg and look at the beer out poppet. I have been amazed at some of the gunk that has been trapped by the beer out poppet.

While you have it all apart, take a dip tube brush, wet it, coat the end of the brush with Bar Keeper's Friend (or similar) and clean the dip tube. Just be sure to rinse extra well.
I might try this. Do I need anything special to take it apart? Also, where can you get a brush? The only one I have is to clean bottles so I don't know if that is too big. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Old 09-24-2011, 05:39 PM   #18
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 425 Times on 295 Posts
Likes Given: 320

It could quite possibly be your o-rings contributing the flavor. I got used soda kegs myself and when I first got them they smelled like old nasty soda pop and were supposedly cleaned by the vendor I bought them from. I cleaned them myself very thouroughly and kegged a few batches. They tasted a bit funny and I could still smell the soda pop after emptying a keg of beer and cleaning it. I ended up replacing all the o-rings, poppet valves and pressure relief valves and have had great beer ever since.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Old 09-24-2011, 07:00 PM   #19
waldoar15
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Bottle the next batch. That will pretty much tell you where your problem is. In your brewing process or in your keg system.

Old 09-24-2011, 07:05 PM   #20
cyclist
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle6286 View Post
I might try this. Do I need anything special to take it apart? Also, where can you get a brush? The only one I have is to clean bottles so I don't know if that is too big. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
The diptube brush should be at your LHBS or favorite Internet site.

For getting the fittings off, I think I use a 7/8 inch wrench, 12 point combination wrench. (Some of those fittings require the extra points.) If you have some deep well sockets, you can probably use them as well. Check out the rebuilding section of the kegging faq at: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/stic...ng-faqs-43347/

Good luck!

Quick Reply